Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Fire safety and your tractor

It's summer.. lots of places have had little rain, and it that time of year where many of us are getting lots of seat time. That means it's a great time to check your fire extinguisher on your tractor. Don't have one? Then it's a great time to get one.

Soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Default Re: Fire safety and your tractor

It's a good time to think about when you will mow or work too. Remember, moisture/dew is highest in the morning, and at it's lowest in the afternnon. The fuel moisture level tracks that. If you mow, do it at the break of dawn. Don't mow in the afternoon.

I've been on a few fires caused by folks on tractors and lawn mowers, in dry conditions, in the afternnon. The last one, if my engine company had taken even 2 minutes longer to get there, the house would have been involved.

If it is a red flag day, don't mow at all...

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Another thing... Make sure you have a defensible space around your house. It should be mowed and trimmed in at least a 30' radius of the house. California Dep of Forestry used to say 30' for sure, 60' is better. After all the fires in the LA area, they recommend at least 100'

CDF INFO page

Tractor
    International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader

My father in law just bought me a extinguisher for my tractor, they really should be standard equipment for all tractors.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

All my tractors that I do any real 'work' on have a fire extinguisher and a firt aid kit, and cup holder for taking a bottled water or gatorade with me. Very easy to get exhausted in the heat.. and a chug of water or g-aid can make the difference from being sick to being ok.

Soundguy

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

I am careful. I have 2 extinguishers on my tractor. One on each side on the loader frame.

Ben

Silver Member

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and cup holder for taking a bottled water or gatorade with me. Very easy to get exhausted in the heat.. and a chug of water or g-aid can make the difference from being sick to being ok. )</font>

Yep. Heat exhaustion can sneak up on the strongest man and lay him out like a rag doll.

Or even kill him.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    '51 ford 8N

Let me second that!

I've experienced heat-stroke twice and once you feel it it's already too late to do anything about it. In both cases it was honestly the worst I've ever felt.....down for a few days in each case. Since, my ability to handle heat and work has declined. It's almost like a heat-stroke ratchets down your ability to work thereafter. I"m only 30, but I constantly watch myself now because I never want to have it again...... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate......all of those "little" jobs you go out to take on for an hour or so which turn into big jobs are the killers.