Can you drive your tractor on the street?

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #1  

JohnBoy45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800DT
Hi, In my town the police have not problem with it but do want people to use a slow moving sign and there flashers. I drive my tractor from one property to the nexted by going on the road.

Terry

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #2  
I've done it. There's a lot of farming around here so seeing tractors on the roads isn't uncommon.

However, compact tractors don't have the visibility of the larger tractors...something to be aware of, especially in blind corners and cresting hills. Most compacts only do 10-12 MPH. Larger tractors can be considerably faster.

When I took my longest trip...about 10-11 miles, I had a friend follow me in a full sized pick up truck. That was to increase visibility.

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #3  
No because tractor is covered by a rider on house insurance and is not covered if off the property.

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #4  
Yes.

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #5  
Yes you can drive the tractor on the street. If you may will depend on the local regulations. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #6  
Yes! With flashers on and SMV sign in back.

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #7  
I drive mine from my house down to our pasture down the road for mowing. I have smv signs and flashers.

To the poster that said 'no' due to the fact that his tractor was only covered under his homeowners policy rider.. etc.. Do yourself a favor and dig into the specifics a little bit.

While I'm sure it will be different in every state and with each insurer.. do check. For instance, I have Nationwide insurance. My tractor is covered for personal use.. I.e. it cannot be for hire. It is covered for maintaining my property. I specifically asked my agent about my pasture down the road. He said that my policy covers owned land that has not been improved with structures, up to the same limits as my home.. etc. And maintenance of that covered land by my tractor is also covered. ( I live in florida ).

Soundguy

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #8  
Terry,
I suspect the road regs are set by your state. In the last state I owned a tractor state law req'ed a SMV sign and lights. Your particular town may also have some of its own regs. In the past I've contacted the TN DOT directly (via email) and they provided a quick complete response. Your county agent could likely give that info too along w/ other guide lines that aren't necessarily law but would keep you and others on the road safe. UT may also have some infos about this on their ag website. jimg

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #9  
Here in BC I need a $33 insurance policy to be able to cross a quiet country road to get to a section of my property on the other side of it. The same policy covers me for taking produce to market - no mention in the policy of how far the market can be from the farm - but I'm not covered for highway driving generally. To do so, I'd need license plates and insurance.

/ Can you drive your tractor on the street? #10  
Wow.. I'm glad i don't live in a 'communist' state like that! Plates and insurance policies for farm tractors! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ( I know lots of states are -not- lenient on farm tractors.. while many others are very lenient.. ).. just glad I live in a farm friendly state..

Soundguy