Duh!

/ Duh! #1  

Deaf

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford New Holland
I guess I could add a few 100 posts related to this but one of the best happened to me while I was totally sober.

Right out of college I had a brand new F150 2wd and was living on my brothers land in a 25' camper, life was good! One Thursday night I was packing the truck up for a camping weekend with a group of college friends that I had planned to meet Friday night after work at a private farm one of the guys owned. I had a few beers after work and decided to drive the truck down next to the camper to load up. After loading my Honda XL175 and all my gear I decided to leave the truck there till I went to work in the AM Friday. My camper was parked on a “slight” hill with a much larger hill below me. Well 1st thing in the AM I look out and its raining full bore! I hop in the truck and try to back up the "slight" hill and no dice all I get is tire spin. No one is around to ask for help so I decided to get my brothers old Allis out of the shed to pull my truck up the "slight" hill. I hooked up some chains and made sure they would not come undone. Well the trucks steering wheel was locked in a straight position and I had to go a little to the right. My brand new truck 3 months old was coming awfully close to some trees so I stopped to unlock the steering wheel and found out the Allis brakes would not hold. Trying to get the tractor into reverse I popped the cutch and the chain came undone. It was a real slow motion scene watching the truck rolling away and gathering speed. I hopped off the tractor and made a mad dash to catch the truck just has it went nose 1st over the steep end of the hill. It rolled about 80 yards and crashed into a huge maple tree. The rear went so high in the air I saw the whole underside of the truck. The Honda flew at least 30 more yards down the hill and it tossed two cases worth of beer in every direction. There I stood looking at my totaled truck, Honda and the beer. Never again will I try to do a two man job alone!

/ Duh! #5  
I left the tailgate of my truck down and the new Stihl chainsaw I had somewhere between my house and camp disappeared.....
Saw a snowmobile with 100 miles on it sink through the ice once. Ever see 2 grown men naked in 32 degree water? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Duh! #6  
Deaf,
A friend of mine had something very simular happen to him with his new F250 a wet hill an old tractor and a older rope, I was in tears the whole time he was telling me this story.

He did not quite see the humor as I saw it at the time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can laugh about it now, it makes a great story.

/ Duh! #7  
I watched a guy put his wife and kids in his brand new 24 foot Rinker ski boat last summer at the boat ramp and then release the front winch of the trailer. Now keep in mind our boat ramps are very steep. He proceeds to back into the water at a high rate of speed and the trailer starts to jack knife on him so he slams on the brakes. The boat and trailer stops but the boat doesn't. It lands on the ramp about 6 foot short of the water. I hooked up a rope to the back of his boat and tied it to mine in the water and 3 or 4 guys on the ramp push as we get it in the water. There is a trail of fiberglass all the way down the ramp. He backs his trailer in the water and we load it back up and get it on land to look at the damage there is a small hole in the bottom of the hull. He said that this was their 1st time out with it and it had never been on water.

/ Duh! #8  
Oh, I used to cringe when I would see folks unhooking the front hook holding the bow strap to the boat up in the parking lot. I mentioned to some folks I slightly knew that they would end up launching it onto the pavement some day and they just laughed at me and said 'We always do that, it never gives us a problem.' I told them that sooner or later it would, relaunching a boat that is on a wet trailer, a steeper ramp, new carpet on the bunks, or switching to a roller trailer would do it....its amazing the stuff that goes on at the boat ramp.

I lived that slogan about boats, the two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Duh! #9  
Oh, I used to cringe when I would see folks unhooking the front hook holding the bow strap to the boat up in the parking lot. I mentioned to some folks I slightly knew that they would end up launching it onto the pavement some day and they just laughed at me and said 'We always do that, it never gives us a problem.' I told them that sooner or later it would, relaunching a boat that is on a wet trailer, a steeper ramp, new carpet on the bunks, or switching to a roller trailer would do it....its amazing the stuff that goes on at the boat ramp.

I lived that slogan about boats, the two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif