Tied door to his leg

/ Tied door to his leg #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
Just reading and thinking. My father drove till he was in his 80s. One day I was visiting and he was returning from his daily run into town for lunch. He pulls into his driveway and I was right behind him. I walked over to his car and he was doing something in front seat. He drove a big Chevy Impala 2 door; about a 75 with a big heavy door. I pulled the door open to help him out and get whatever packages he might have bought. Then I seen it. He was untieing a rope from his leg to the door. Naturally, I asked, "Whats going on?" Here, the door latch was broke and he had to keep door shut someway. Turns out he was doing this for a couple weeks. He ran a neighborhood tavern, by himself, and he only took an hour and a half for lunch. He had a few handy customers that could fix the door but they "haven't been in lately". My father wasn't a fix it guy. I asked why he didn't ask me to get it done. He replied with, whats the big deal. He had to get lunch and didn't think it was really dangerous. "I have been driving slow since door broke.", he said. My dad was about 80 when he did this.

When you go down memory lane, there a lot of funny things that could have been tragic. Were lucky when we can laugh because no harm done.

Cheers