Burn Pile near catastrophe

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #1  

rvaitor

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK55C
Well,

It's been about a week. Been accumulating stuff in a low part of the barnyard. Ultimately hope to be able to keep everything clear and cut. I thought since we had received over an inch of rain two days earlier it would be an okay time to burn the pile. Started about 10 o'clock and by 11:30 or really earlier, it was out of my control.

I had cut it about a month ago so there was plenty of fuel. Started small and didn't grow extremely fast - I just couldn't keep up or get it completely out. Before I knew it it was really getting scary. Finally called Fire Dept and they were there in 15 minutes max - I don't get that kind of service in downtown.

Anyway, by the time they got there it was around three barns/sheds and hay and vines on the side of the barn where catching.

Lesson is be more prepared have watera and a way to deliver it available at the pile and call before you think you absolutely need help. I kept thinking I can get it out and that was a big mistake.

I'll attach a few pictures - I'm embarrassed and feel stupid but maybe someone will learn from my mistake(s).

Attachments

• Barnyard Before Cut.jpg
    Barnyard Before Cut.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,661
  • Barnyard Cut.jpg
    Barnyard Cut.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,626
  • Barnyard Final.jpg
    Barnyard Final.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,672
   / Burn Pile near catastrophe #2  
We all make mistakes, Seems you knew enough to know when you needed help. That makes you smarter than a lot of people. That could happen to anyone us

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #3  
Timber said:
We all make mistakes, Seems you knew enough to know when you needed help. That makes you smarter than a lot of people. That could happen to anyone us

What he said.....

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #4  
I have several burn piles to deal with but have never really "burned" a pile yet. Your post scares the crap out of me. I have decided to move my burn pile where I have dirt for 200' all around and no trees. I have burned piles when I was a kid but that was by accident.:)
Thanks for sharing.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #5  
I'm sure there are reasons other than this, but my father always said that after every brush-type fire he'd ever heard about getting out of control, someone said something like, "Everything was going fine, and then the wind changed."

Winds change.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #6  
That is a terrible bad helpless feeling when you realize a fire is out of control......

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #7  
I am thankful everything worked out ok for you.

This enforces my decision to push my brush piles over an embankment, out of sight from out building site. I am on top of a ridge with no water at this time and thick under growth. The guy I had dozer the undergrowth ask if I wanted to burn or rot. I chose rot.

rvaitor, was this at Hickory, NC ?

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe
hunterridgefarm said:
rvaitor, was this at Hickory, NC ?

Yes, in the Vale area south of Hickory/Morganton.

Yes, I too thought about blaming the wind. Thankfully it was blowing the way it was. The fire guys said if it had been blowing into the woods they may not have been able to get down there to put it out.

My thinking now is to cover the pile with a tarp and wait till it's been raining for a few days - pull the tarp off and see if I can get it started - then pile the wet stuff on top of that. Also, clear around it better - maybe push it up in the clear area more - anyway for now I'm a retired brush pile burner.

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #9  
I generally like to wait until there is snow on the ground, the pile will dry itself out fast enough. For some people I guess snow is not an option but having plenty of open space and a hose laid out and ready to go is a must in my book. My burn pile this year is huge and I am thinking of taking the tractor to it and making more of a windrow and then only light one end. The plan being that it won't go up all at once.

Charles

/ Burn Pile near catastrophe #10  
I've had one too many scares myself. Three rules at our house now - there has to be VERY little wind, the hose has to be down there and ON, and we ONLY burn next to the pond.

Knocking on wood now...

-Brian