Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Default Working on tractor with loader up...do you?

What do you folks do when working on your tractor and the loader arms are in the way? What is the safest procedure...lift the arms and use the valve lock safety and work under the raised loader? How reliable is the valve lock, safety wise? I am wondering, since I am not sure. It seems like some kind of physical lock...like a pin in the frame or something would be more reliable but mine has none. Suggestions? Taking the loader off, seems like a pain in the rear.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Platinum Member

Default Re: Working on tractor with loader up...do you?

I was going to day taking it off before I read the end of your post. If you are not taking it off, then I wouuld find a way to block it up. I still have some 4x4s left from when I built my deck. They come in handy if I need to do what you are describing.

Tractor
    BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug
    What do you folks do when working on your tractor and the loader arms are in the way? What is the safest procedure...lift the arms and use the valve lock safety and work under the raised loader? How reliable is the valve lock, safety wise? I am wondering, since I am not sure. It seems like some kind of physical lock...like a pin in the frame or something would be more reliable but mine has none. Suggestions? Taking the loader off, seems like a pain in the rear.
    I assume you have a quick attach loader. I would remove it for safety and ease of working on the tractor. Most are 5 minutes off and 10 on.
    Kevin

BX1860, mower, snowblower - B7500HST, FEL, Bush Hog - Grand L3940 HSTC, FEL, snowblower, 6' Landpride brush hog, 6' King Kutter tiller, Corn Pro 18+5 Fifth Wheel, 1950 Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota

The quick clean the screen in front of the radiator, and such I just use some blocks. When I replaced the very expensive radiator I took off the arms/bucket.

steve
    Kubota L3430HST with 723 loader and 6'bucket, Greenline 6", 9" & 12" post hole digger, Land Pride 5' Brush hog, toothbar, 72" land Pride box blade, canopy, Kuhn 6' rototiller, 8' landscape rake, post driver, WOODS BH90x with hydraulic thrumb.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

I for one would chain the bucket to something solid,or rest the bucket bottom flat on somthing high plus use the E- Brake.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I work under my loader all the time... IF it is cribbed or blocked with a fence post or other large wodden brace.. jackstands and hi-lift jacks.. etc... Never just on HYD's.. .. never on -just- jacks either.. got to have timber or stands.. or both.

Soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 HST

Dealer showed me a trick he uses. Take a piece of angle steel and zip tie to the ram on the hydraulic cylinder of the loader. If loader starts to go down, the piece of angle will catch it. Of course make sure the steel you use has no burrs on it.
    2006 Kubota L3400 HST, R4's, LA 463 loader.
    Landpride FDR1672 mower, Hawkline 5' rotary cutter, 5' United boxblade, 6' scrape blade, Woods 5000 chipper/shredder

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

On most of the equipment I have used that requires you to work under a gate or hydraulic implement (round baler and such) they usually have a piece of C channel that flips over the extended ram and you pin it so it can't flip off. Similar to the angle iron but it covers the entire exposed ram and you are not relying on plastic ties to hold it on if something lets loose.

On my 1920 and TN I just hop under the loader arm when it is on the ground and do what I need to. If it is going to be something major I will just pull the loader off.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Thanks Guys,

I do have a Quick Attach on my bucket, and that is a good idea...just unattaching it before raising the arms. That would lessen the danger of most of the weight. I would have never thought of using the angle iron with tie wraps! I think that's what I will do next time. I have plenty of angle iron in my workshop and will cut a couple pieces just for that purpose. Great ideas to be safe by.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

My batwing mower has angle guards like that that flip over the lift ram so you don't loose hyds and bottom out going down the road. The wings have arms that pin up to hol dthem also..

Soundguy

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast