Hercules ROPS

/ Hercules ROPS #1  

richn

Anyone purchase the Hercules Rops RMF103
I was not very impressed with the one I got. Thought the 2x4x 1/8 tube steel is too thin for the weight of my tractor and the bolts did not seem to be very high grade .No grade markings on them at all and looked like something you would get in Home Depot.
Dont tell anyone but I am going to use aviation bolts and weld some stiffeners to the frame

/ Hercules ROPS
It does have a label indication OSHA compliance ..... but a foil label is not going to protect me.

/ Hercules ROPS #4  
Rich, you are correct. But... if you modify the ROPS in any way, you have taken any liability away from the manufacturer and transferred it to yourself. This may be of some concern to your widow.
If you don't like the look of this particular ROPS, get another. After all, we still live in a relatively free country. :)

/ Hercules ROPS
I understand and accept the liability. I would rather have an uncertified ROPS that saves me than a certified one that allows my widow to sue the Manuf.

If I sell the tractor, I would take the ROPS off ..... you cant be held liable for selling a (old) tractor without a ROPS

/ Hercules ROPS #6  
richn said:
I understand and accept the liability. I would rather have an uncertified ROPS that saves me than a certified one that allows my widow to sue the Manuf.

If I sell the tractor, I would take the ROPS off ..... you cant be held liable for selling a (old) tractor without a ROPS

You can be held liable for anything a jury says you are liable for.

/ Hercules ROPS #7  
richn said:
Anyone purchase the Hercules Rops RMF103
I was not very impressed with the one I got. Thought the 2x4x 1/8 tube steel is too thin for the weight of my tractor and the bolts did not seem to be very high grade .No grade markings on them at all and looked like something you would get in Home Depot.
Dont tell anyone but I am going to use aviation bolts and weld some stiffeners to the frame

I have a Hercules ROPS on my little Kubota B7100 - I am also an Engineer type (not a mech - a Computer type..). The thing is designed to absorb force by deforming - making it rigid would make it fail at a lower loading unless you engineer it appropriately. Apropos the bolts (mine are Allen head) - they are part of the structure. Mine are high tensile but un-marked. I don't know who supplies Hercules (they are manufactured in Melbourne, Australia) with their fixing hardware but it does look cheesey to me too!

Given that these are one of the very few ROPS that actually meet all the international standards for ROPS, I'd be very wary of modifying it. There should be a sticker giving the maximum weight it'll work with - as long as you are under that, it'll be fine irrespective of how "bendy" it seems. They do a demo at field days around here with an old grey fergie that gets stood up on the ROPS.... it sure flexes but works as advertised!

$0.02
-KJM

/ Hercules ROPS #8  
FWIW:

I found a link to herculesrops.com on the web page of one of their US dealers.

But herculesrops.com now returns:

Gone

The requested resource

is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.