Tippy Shibaura

/ Tippy Shibaura #1  

alaskatomd

My recently purchased 21 hp Shibaura is very tippy, especially when i have some thing in the front loader. One any kind of side hill on of the rear wheels really wants to pick up easy.

I was wondering what others have done to get some weight in the back to help balance things out a bit. Maybe a 400# box blade would be in order? Would that help things get balanced?

I also noticed that it would be really nice to widen the stance of the rear wheels a bit to help gain some stability. What has anyone done to accomplish this. It seems to me i would have to get some sort of concentric hub, with the same bolt pattern as the wheels, machined that would extend the wheels away from the centerline of the tractor.

Bottom line i need to help lower the center of gravity and widen the stance. Any suggestions? Please help because right now this tractor has some serious pucker factor.

thanks,
alaskatomd

/ Tippy Shibaura #2  
First, buy a ROPS and seat belt. Ballast on the back will help, I usually try to hang at least 500# off the back when using the loader. A 400# box blade would be a great place to start and if you have one available I would recommend you use it as counter weight. Many of the gray market tractors have rims that are "deeper" mounted on one side than the other. I swapped my front and back wheels from one side to the other and gained a very noticeable amount of stability.

/ Tippy Shibaura #3  
Wheel width is critical but so is ballast! I like wheel weights as well as three point hitch ballast. The three point hitch ballast uses the rear axle as a pivot point reducing weight and strain on front axle steering components as well as the pivots.

/ Tippy Shibaura
I have someone trying to look for a ROP for me right now but it is not turning out successful. I am having difficulty finding a match for my P17D model. It has been difficult finding this model anywhere on the net.

As far as swapping the wheels, i like the idea but the hub plate is pretty much on center with the centerline of the wheel so i don't think i would gain anything there.

I am almost considering having a concentric hub extension machined. But i agree i seriously eed some ballast for starters.

alaskatomd

/ Tippy Shibaura #5  
You have not said whether your rear tires are fluid filled. That is a big help.

Tom W.

/ Tippy Shibaura
Not, i do not believe the tires are filled with fluid. I hear of some people putting a calcium solution in their tires. Calcium must be heavier than just plaine H2O.

What about corrosivity of the calcium with the wheel? If i use Calcium shouldn't i make sure that i have tires with an inner tube?

Since i live in Fairbanks AK i was considering adding H2O / glycol solution to the tires so i wouldn't have a freezing issue.

thanks,
alaskatomd

/ Tippy Shibaura #7  
Kernopelli said:
First, buy a ROPS and seat belt. Ballast on the back will help, I usually try to hang at least 500# off the back when using the loader. A 400# box blade would be a great place to start and if you have one available I would recommend you use it as counter weight. Many of the gray market tractors have rims that are "deeper" mounted on one side than the other. I swapped my front and back wheels from one side to the other and gained a very noticeable amount of stability.
what if any other mods did you have to make or did you just unbolt them and switch them thanks Ed

/ Tippy Shibaura #8  
I took my rear tires and reversed them from one side to the other and mounted them with the valves on the inside . This changed my width from 41 inches to 47 inches . A bit more stability .

/ Tippy Shibaura
what if any other mods did you have to make or did you just unbolt them and switch them thanks Ed

Ya, i just unbolted them, swapped from side to side, and mounted.

/ Tippy Shibaura #10  
soo sorry new around this fourm and well sorry but im a 3rd gen farm boy and redneck

i know what ROPS is (roll over protection system"

but you lot on here seem to stress safety alot on here
i almost feel like im back in the ffa "ROPS SEATBELTS "dont grab that barb wire with your bare hands" take off all your jewelry" "wear steel caped boots, but not around horses as it will cut your toes off" < that last one is BS anywho i had a 92 f-350 dually flat bed roll over my foot in my steel capped boots and nothing happened

ya im full off scars had a grander **** neere take off my finger 2 times been stabed scratched burned shocked cut and bruised by the life i live but im still here

i have had tractors flip on me but it was never so fast that i couldnt hop out of the thing

by the way i own 2 tractors 3 bob cats 2 bucket trucks a tree spade truck and a john deere 310d and a bunch of other smaller equipment , im not some one tractor wounder