Tractor
    Shibaura SP1740 & Husqvarna 1842

Default Shibaura SP1740

Hi All,

I'm new here and just found this forum recently. I just posted this in the grey market forum not realizing there was a Shibaura forum.

I picked up a Shibaura 1740 to work around my property doing gardens etc

It seems like a good little tractor and everything works OK. However I don't know it's service history and thought I'd give it a once over before doing any real work. New oil and filters are the order of the day but since this is a Japan import there's not a lot of info at the local Shibaura dealer for this model.

I was looking at a Shibaura ST318 and it looks like an updated version of my tractor. The mechanicals look very similar. I'm hoping the oil, hydraulic and fuel filters are the same.

Does anyone have any part numbers for these for the 1740?

I also have read that New Holland and Shibaura share some common components. Are they the same underneath ie an OEM arrangement between New Holland and Shibaura?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Michael

Veteran Member

Default Re: Shibaura SP1740

Shibaura made the Ford compacts. They share some common parts, but are not rebadged Shibauras.

Tractor

Here's a pic of the tractor. I've pulled it appart and fixed a bunch of things since then.

The gear shifter needed work as did the clutch and a bunch of other little things. I've just made a new seat frame which also supports a lot of the sheet metal better. It was a bit flexible before and you notice how the foot tread plates and guards would move as you climbed on. I've also changed the seat mounts to push the seat further back. It was a bit cramped for my long legs.

I found the part numbers for the filters if anyone is interested. I emailed Shibaura in Japan and they were very helpful with providing the part numbers. Unfortunately all of the filters are out of stock/production so I'm looking for cross matches.

Air filter: 314531054

Hydraulic filter assy: 340050040

Oil filter: 140516160

Cheers

Michael

Tractor

The local Australian Shibaura dealer (Inlon) has been very helpful with searching for parts, despite not having sold or even imported the tractor.

Today a set of Turf tyres and wheels arrived. I believe they are from the SX 25. the guys in the parts departments were out measuring bolt circle diameters and center bores for me and then they did me a good deal on them. I'll bolt them on tonight. Fingers crossed they fit OK.

Cheers

Michael

Tractor

Got home and fitted the turf tyres. Perfect fit! Bolt circle and center bore a match. I had to flip the rears as they were touching the guards on the inside. I've got to pick up some new wheel bolts. The threads on a few of them were a bit damaged so I'll replace all of them.

They make the tractor look so much smaller.

It definitely needs some weight on the back now as the turf tyres are lighter than the agg tyres. I'll fill the rears with water I reckon and maybe make a weight box or run with a box blade on the back.

Cheers

Michael