Shibaura SP1740

/ Shibaura SP1740 #1  

CSX66

Tractor
Shibaura SP1740 & Husqvarna 1842
Hi All,

I'm new here and just found this forum recently. I just posted this in the grey market forum not realizing there was a Shibaura forum.

I picked up a Shibaura 1740 to work around my property doing gardens etc

It seems like a good little tractor and everything works OK. However I don't know it's service history and thought I'd give it a once over before doing any real work. New oil and filters are the order of the day but since this is a Japan import there's not a lot of info at the local Shibaura dealer for this model.

I was looking at a Shibaura ST318 and it looks like an updated version of my tractor. The mechanicals look very similar. I'm hoping the oil, hydraulic and fuel filters are the same.

Does anyone have any part numbers for these for the 1740?

I also have read that New Holland and Shibaura share some common components. Are they the same underneath ie an OEM arrangement between New Holland and Shibaura?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Michael

/ Shibaura SP1740 #2  
Shibaura made the Ford compacts. They share some common parts, but are not rebadged Shibauras.

/ Shibaura SP1740
Here's a pic of the tractor. I've pulled it appart and fixed a bunch of things since then.

Shibaura_SP1740.JPG

The gear shifter needed work as did the clutch and a bunch of other little things. I've just made a new seat frame which also supports a lot of the sheet metal better. It was a bit flexible before and you notice how the foot tread plates and guards would move as you climbed on. I've also changed the seat mounts to push the seat further back. It was a bit cramped for my long legs.

I found the part numbers for the filters if anyone is interested. I emailed Shibaura in Japan and they were very helpful with providing the part numbers. Unfortunately all of the filters are out of stock/production so I'm looking for cross matches.

Air filter: 314531054

Hydraulic filter assy: 340050040

Oil filter: 140516160

Cheers

Michael

/ Shibaura SP1740
The local Australian Shibaura dealer (Inlon) has been very helpful with searching for parts, despite not having sold or even imported the tractor.

Today a set of Turf tyres and wheels arrived. I believe they are from the SX 25. the guys in the parts departments were out measuring bolt circle diameters and center bores for me and then they did me a good deal on them. I'll bolt them on tonight. Fingers crossed they fit OK.

Turf_Wheels.JPG

Cheers

Michael

/ Shibaura SP1740
Got home and fitted the turf tyres. Perfect fit! Bolt circle and center bore a match. I had to flip the rears as they were touching the guards on the inside. I've got to pick up some new wheel bolts. The threads on a few of them were a bit damaged so I'll replace all of them.

Tractor_Turf_Tyres.jpg

They make the tractor look so much smaller.

It definitely needs some weight on the back now as the turf tyres are lighter than the agg tyres. I'll fill the rears with water I reckon and maybe make a weight box or run with a box blade on the back.

Cheers

Michael

/ Shibaura SP1740 #6  
Hi, Just checking out parts for a Shibaura 1740, I need to get a new drive shaft and center for the clutch, any ideas on where parts can be got, am in Ireland, but can get them posted.

D

/ Shibaura SP1740 #7  
Hi, Just checking out parts for a Shibaura 1740, I need to get a new drive shaft and center for the clutch, any ideas on where parts can be got, am in Ireland, but can get them posted.

D

Hi Dave, Did you haev any luck getting a drive shaft for the Shibaura SP1740? I have a satoh st1540d thats a bit cabbaged and finding it hard to get sorted. Based in Dundalk. Also looking at a Shibaura SP1740 similiar to your one. Does the PTO run clockwise for putting attachements on them etc?
Cheers

/ Shibaura SP1740 #8  
Hi Dave, Did you haev any luck getting a drive shaft for the Shibaura SP1740? I have a satoh st1540d thats a bit cabbaged and finding it hard to get sorted. Based in Dundalk. Also looking at a Shibaura SP1740 similiar to your one. Does the PTO run clockwise for putting attachements on them etc?
Cheers

Hi, Yep the drive shaft runs clockwise, and no have not got a drive shaft yet. Where is the 1740 you are looking at, and any idea of cost. Is the seller likely to have parts.

/ Shibaura SP1740 #9  
Hi, Yep the drive shaft runs clockwise, and no have not got a drive shaft yet. Where is the 1740 you are looking at, and any idea of cost. Is the seller likely to have parts.

Looking to buy from a private individual dont think he has parts. Are they harder to find than the likes of Kubota/ mitsubishi/ Iseki? All main dealers seem to put you through the ringer when you have a grey market tractor! Cheers

/ Shibaura SP1740 #10  
Hi,
Have you tried this UK contact: Simon Richard Ltd
tel.01540860776
mob.07 836 733776
email. mail@simon-richard.co.uk
His web site offers help to Shibaura owners. The are several other dealers in the uK

I have an ST324 with a 60inch belly mower. same whells as the one you acquired. Very nice unit but nor too flash when the going is wet and slushy!
Good luck with your inquiries.
Rober J I
Coromandel Peninsular, New Zealand