Setting tappets (valve clearances) on two cylinder

/ Setting tappets (valve clearances) on two cylinder #1  

Sutol

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1200 / Super Dexta x 2
Help please on how to set the valve clearances (tappets) on a Shibaura engine.

Mine is a two cylinder 16 hp badged as a Ford 1200

Clearances would be useful as well to save me looking it up.

Thank you:)

/ Setting tappets (valve clearances) on two cylinder
Maybe I'm not wording this correctly me bein not from around here an all:)

What do you call the setting of the gaps betwen the tip of the rocker arm and the top of the valve?

Mine sound very noisey and I suspect that they have never been set, the oil is going round so not that and its new oil as well.
No expense spared on keeping the engine sweet eh

Any one know why filters are so expensive for these engines, or is there an equivalent cheap one I could use, I pay £2 each for my Land rover filters but the Ford 1200 filters are £10 each:eek:

/ Setting tappets (valve clearances) on two cylinder #3  
Welcome to TBN. I call it the valve clearance or valve lash. Someone with more experience will come along. :thumbsup:

/ Setting tappets (valve clearances) on two cylinder #4  
Being out here in the Colonies we are very good at translating.
I did a diesel course back in college and yes we did set Lorry Petrol Engines.

On the oil filter read some manufactures cross references. Then if you find a match use a rule to the check the size of the gasket /tread. The cheaper Ford filter here will not be your Ford cross reference as they are probabley stamped there UK.

I work with a fellow who bought a large power boat with twin 5.0 L Ford Marine engines.
When he went to change the oil filter for the first time he could not get it off. He called a friend that raced cars, and he said he had never had a filter this tight. They torn the entire metal can off and the center nut was still attached to the engine. They had a college student weld up a pronged tool to fit in the holes in the nut (flow holes) and it then came off.

At the other end of the scale I know of 2 oil filters that came loose on seperate vehicles.

Craig Clayton

/ Setting tappets (valve clearances) on two cylinder

Thanks Will, can get it done with that information.
Cant understand though how to set tappets cold and with the engine ticking over. Surely the fact that it is running makes it a warm engine:)

Any how, we'll see how it goes, thanks again:)

Being out here in the Colonies we are very good at translating.
I did a diesel course back in college and yes we did set Lorry Petrol Engines.

On the oil filter read some manufactures cross references. Then if you find a match use a rule to the check the size of the gasket /tread. The cheaper Ford filter here will not be your Ford cross reference as they are probabley stamped there UK.

I work with a fellow who bought a large power boat with twin 5.0 L Ford Marine engines.
When he went to change the oil filter for the first time he could not get it off. He called a friend that raced cars, and he said he had never had a filter this tight. They torn the entire metal can off and the center nut was still attached to the engine. They had a college student weld up a pronged tool to fit in the holes in the nut (flow holes) and it then came off.

At the other end of the scale I know of 2 oil filters that came loose on seperate vehicles.

Craig Clayton

yep, I've seen 'mechanics' tightening new filters up with the filter strap and I've had to chisel a few off as well.
I tighten them by hand using a rag to stop slipping, thats tight enough in my opinion, any more just distorts the seal.

I'll ask around to find one that fits, there are only a few different types, I'll try a Land Rover diesel filter and hope it fits cause I've got a boxfull, my brother went and bought filters from the Ford dealer for the tractor, he loves spending money that man and wont be told that parts over here are sometimes made by the same manufacturer, just the code and the price is different.

Example...buy a filter for the Lotus below and its very expensive, I buy Rover filters cause its a Rover 'K' series engine, same filter but very different prices.:)

Attachments

• SDC11453.jpg
    SDC11453.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 296