SD1500 fuel system bleed

/ SD1500 fuel system bleed #1  

S Putnik

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM336D
Does anyone know how to purge air from the fuel system on a smaller Shibaura. I've been chasing a lot of fuel leaks and every time I finish I have to go through a long an painful process of getting the air out of the injector lines. There are what appear to be bleed valves on the top of the filter bowl, but I'm not sure how using them would air my cause. Being at a low point seems like opening any of them would allow more air to come in.

Any thoughts?

/ SD1500 fuel system bleed #2  
I have to assume it is similar to a Shibaura built Ford. The slotted screw on the filter is an air bleed and is first to bleed. The injection pump should have a similar slotted/hex headed screw. Bleed second. Sometimes can start with just bleeding those two. Otherwise, bleed injectors.

/ SD1500 fuel system bleed
Thanks for your reply and info.

In my case there are three slotted/hex screws on top of the filter bowl. I'm pretty sure one of them is a bleed. The other two may only be mounting screws, but they look the same. I haven't noticed a bleed valve on the pump. I'll look again. It's bleeding the injectors that gets tiresome.

Do I bleed with the engine running or not?

/ SD1500 fuel system bleed #4  
I think the bleed is the screw to the left if it is similar to the Ford. You can tell which is the bleed screw on the filter as it is the shorter one. If you loosen the mount screw, of course, the filter will loosen up.
On the pump, it is the screw #8 in the in block style pump Injection pump in block.png and it is screw #1A in the inline pumpInjection pump inline.png.
You do not need to start or run the tractor to bleed up to the pump. This is done with at least a half tank of fuel and by opening the filter bleed first, letting the fuel bleed until there are no bubbles present. Then bleed the injection pump the same way. At this point, the tractor will start and stay running without having to bleed injectors, but if need be, crack all of the nuts on the injection lines about 1 to 1 1/2 turns, crank the engine with the fuel on until fuel steadily squirts out the injection nut fitting. Tighten the injectors and try starting. When you first crank it over to start, open the throttle at least half way. Once it starts and is running steady, slow it back down. If it doesn't start at this point, bleed again. If it doesn't start and there is no air present in the system something is wrong with the fuel system itself.

/ SD1500 fuel system bleed
Thank you very much. This is priceless info. Way better than trying to muddle through it myself