Shibaura 1803 Advice

/ Shibaura 1803 Advice #1  

Tractoring

Tractor
?
Hello,

New to this site. I found what seems to be a solid Shibaura 1803 2wd. I am not very familiar with them and was wondering if anyone had experience with them. Tractor is in good shape but has an electronic lift (used to the old 8n's). Good tires, extra back tire, body good. It has around 1800 hours $2500

Hard to get parts for?
Hydraulics performance?
Better off with different brand?

Thank you

IMG_2995.jpg

/ Shibaura 1803 Advice #2  
Shibauras are good tractors. They made the Ford/NH compact tractors for years. The grey market Shibs can be more difficult parts wise than Yanmars or Mitsubishi. Electronic lift would scare me ( I assume that means it is electronic control / over hydraulic power instead of using a standard hydraulic valve control). Some Iseki grey market machines are the only other time I've heard of using this type of 3 point hitch control and from reading online owner reports who needed them, the parts appear almost nonexistent: i.e. special order if available from Japan and outrageously expensive . $2500 is a fair price but unless I was only going to use it for mowing relatively flat ground or maybe tilling, I'd never buy a 2wd tractor in this size range. They are MUCH lighter and narrower than the old ( 1940's, 50's, 60's) Ford, MF, etc machines. That tractor appears to be in exceptional shape for a +/-30 yr. old machine. I would swear it was a Vietnam reconditioned machine if it wasn't showing 1800 hrs. It's going to be hard to find another $2500 machine unless you go with an old Allis Chalmers, 8/9 N Ford or MF TO model.....which are all more powerful, wider and heavier ( better traction). The antiques listed all have better parts support too.

/ Shibaura 1803 Advice
Thank you for the valuable information. I agree. It did seem like it would tip over easily and I called around and parts are scarce. I have moved on and am looking at a Kubota L245DT, 4wd, 3000 dollars. Runs good, strong lift, no leaks and like new tires. 2519 hours.

/ Shibaura 1803 Advice #4  
Much nicer machine as far as size/weight, parts and power. You'll never regret the extra power and 4wd!