Shiraura D23F lost 4wd

/ Shiraura D23F lost 4wd #1  

fustsgt

Tractor
Shibaura D23F
My D23F has teeth missing from the front ring gear. I have removed the gear, and am using it as a 2wd tractor. It has been a great, reliable machine; I have had it some 20 years, and put about 900 hours on it (total now 1900). But I use the FEL quite a bit, firewood, gravel, snow removal. Should I replace the tractor with one with working 4WD, or just be a lot more careful in where I go for bucket work? Parts seem to totally unavailable to repair the front end. SUNP0064.JPG

Last edited:
   / Shiraura D23F lost 4wd #2  
I have read that the NH 1720 is a pretty good crossover to your machine. New Holland Parts - Best diagrams, pricing and service! The 1720 and 1920 use the same gears and under the 1920 the pinion is listed as 9 teeth and ring as 35 teeth. Ring and pinion gear for either model is listed as "3 in stock" for $656 on Messicks website ( part #

SBA322051450 ). I would contact them and see if they will give you dimensions and verify teeth # of the 1720 gear to see if it it is a match. I suspect a Shibaura D26 is going to use the same gears as the D23. West Kentucky Tractor Parts has a d26 parts machine listed on their site if you want to investigate a salvage part.

I also suspect Len Sheaffer at Sheaffer's Town and Country in Dixon Il. could probably order one from Japan 815-440-2830

Edit....Started thinking about crossover machines. If you find a 1720 gear isn't a match, look at the NH 1620 gears.

Last edited:
   / Shiraura D23F lost 4wd
Thanks for the information. I had checked with West KY for D23, but am not sure about the D26. I have a parts manual which covers both (actually about 6 D series) tractors, 2wd and 4wd. I'll check it, but I think they are different. But then I've heard that memory is the second thing to go, and I forget the first one.

/ Shiraura D23F lost 4wd
I checked my manual, the D23F uses a different ring and pinion than the D26F. the D26f shares the same parts with the larger machines, D28, etc.

/ Shiraura D23F lost 4wd #5  
Well, I hate to make suggestions that have you chasing ghosts. I have to think it is unlikely that your ring gear was only used in one model when they have produced so many similar sized machines. Figuring out what other Shibaura tractor might have shared the part is tough though. I'm curious if you can post some relative dimensions of the gear. Bolt spacing/ number of holes, teeth number, diameter, etc. I am wondering if one of the previous models might have used that gear like one of the SD 2XXX or ST 2xxx or SE models. How you figure that out is going to be a battle. If nothing else, I'd call Len Schaffer and see if he can order the gear. Keep the forum posted, if you can get it fixed, it will help someone in the future.

/ Shiraura D23F lost 4wd
Well, I just found out that I either need to fix this tractor, or get one with working 4wd...my quarter mile of drive and 8 inches of show over an inch of ice proved that what I have won't work. I used the bucket more to unstick the tractor than I did move show.

/ Shiraura D23F lost 4wd #7  
The D23 ring/pinion was not used on a Ford model & is no longer available from Japan. There is a Ford one with that might work, but the pinion shaft is longer. It would take either pinion shaft or driveshaft modifications.

/ Shiraura D23F lost 4wd
Thanks, Leonard. That's the conclusion I came up with. But I am getting better at using it as a 2wd tractor...this last 8 inch snow I only had to use the bucket three times to get back on the driveway.