PTO Leak

/ PTO Leak #1  

pohorsky

Silver Member
Tractor
to30, sd1643
After several years of only have a box scraper on our SD 1642, I hooked up out 4' kubota brushhog and after using it for about 10 minutes I noticed oil leaking from the PTO shaft. Any thoughts?

/ PTO Leak
So I pulled the pto plate off and discovered that not only was the seal bad, but there were two chips out of the pto shaft, which shredded the inside of the seal. Will it work to emry cloth and smooth out the chips, or is it a bigger problem? P_20150425_141747.jpgP_20150425_141807.jpg

/ PTO Leak #3  
Did the chips get inside and do any damage to the ball bearings?
Hard to say what could have caused the pieces to chip off in the first place.
The true fix would be to replace the shaft, seal, and bearing.
Emory cloth would take forever but maybe a Dremel tool or die grinder could smooth it out enough so it won't chew up a new seal.

/ PTO Leak
Did the chips get inside and do any damage to the ball bearings?
Hard to say what could have caused the pieces to chip off in the first place.
The true fix would be to replace the shaft, seal, and bearing.
Emory cloth would take forever but maybe a Dremel tool or die grinder could smooth it out enough so it won't chew up a new seal.

I don't think so. It seems to spin fine. The boys at NAPA said maybe JB Weld. After I try to smooth it out and before I replace the seal, anything else I should do while the tranny is drained? Anybody know how much it takes?
As far a replacing it, I would not even know where to look for one. Normal parts are hard enough to find.

/ PTO Leak #5  
I've used JB Weld and a product called liquid steel before. Both can be filed and sanded. Don't know how either will adhere to oil soaked parts.
Trans should have a sight glass or dip stick for level.
Do you have the service or parts manual for the SD1643.
I only found a few places but they only had some used parts.

/ PTO Leak
It has a dipstick next to the brake pedal. No manual, haven't been able to find one. One place had an illustrated parts list, but that was it. There is a place on So. California that did rebuild our water pump. I might try one of the compounds to see if it will work. The worst that can happen is it will not stick. A friend of mine did use JB Weld on a cylinder wall and it worked, at least for a little while.