Injection pump ?? FORD 1600

/ Injection pump ?? FORD 1600 #1  

dodgefan01

Tractor
1979 Ford 1600
I will start by saying it has ran GREAT and i've never had any problems with it until now. it's got approx 1300hrs on it (i bought it used).

So i went out a few weeks ago to do some work and as i turned the key it sound like it sucked up water (gurgling sound) so i immediately stopped. i took off the filter (oil bath) and it looked quite mucky. So i cleaned it out and filled with new oil. I also changed the oil in the tractor and injection pump while i was at it. When i drained oil, it looked great BTW. Added some fresh diesel that had seafoam in it and now i'm not getting anything when i try and crank (not even smoke).

I have fuel to the injection pump (i loosen bleeder screw and fuel flows out). When i crack the lines it sort of "spits" small amounts of fuel (i'm not sure how much i should expect). I have not checked glow plugs or compression yet as i didn't think that could be it as this problem came directly after hearing what i thought was water getting into the engine.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. i NEED this tractor :(.

One more note, it doesn't look like all the other injection pumps iv'e seen as i've searched this forum as well as google. Mine does NOT have the access panel to see the injection pump springs. I was thinking maybe it was sticking.

Attachments

• 1600 Inj Pump.jpg
    1600 Inj Pump.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 799
   / Injection pump ?? FORD 1600 #2  
You can get to the control rack by taking off the back gov. cover..
BE CAREFUL.. there is a long spring & shim under the cover..
You might be able to unscrew the cap next to the inlet bolt?? but it looks awful close to the other engine bolt??
They don't pump a lot of fuel, so your little squirt might be enough??
Are you loosening the line AT THE PUMP to see it squirt??
Loosen the line AT THE INJECTOR to bleed the air out.. wait for it to squirt THERE.. & tighten.
MAKE SURE the throttle is WIDE OPEN.. FULL THROTTLE..

/ Injection pump ?? FORD 1600
You can get to the control rack by taking off the back gov. cover..
BE CAREFUL.. there is a long spring & shim under the cover..
You might be able to unscrew the cap next to the inlet bolt?? but it looks awful close to the other engine bolt??
They don't pump a lot of fuel, so your little squirt might be enough??
Are you loosening the line AT THE PUMP to see it squirt??
Loosen the line AT THE INJECTOR to bleed the air out.. wait for it to squirt THERE.. & tighten.
MAKE SURE the throttle is WIDE OPEN.. FULL THROTTLE..

I'll give this a shot.. Thanks!

So I finally got back out to work on this. I read somewhere to put gas on a rag and put over the air inlet. So I wet a rag and put over the oil bath. It turned over but didn't stay running.
Its puffing white smoke. I put in new fuel filter and bleed all the lines to the injection pump. I bled the lines at the actual injectors until it was squirting out of both of them and then tighten them down. Still nothing.

Please help

/ Injection pump ?? FORD 1600 #5  
If it puffing white smoke, its getting fuel..
so check the glow plugs.. take'm out & check'm don't rely on an ohm meter, just my opinion.
Hookm up one by one to a battery charger or directly off the battery w/ alligator clips.. + on top, - on body.. should get red by 7-10 sec.
Puttm back in, THEN check to see if they're getting 12v w/the key.

Thanks. I'll get out the voltmeter tomorrow. I was thinking it still needed fuel I it was white and not black

If it puffing white smoke, its getting fuel..
so check the glow plugs.. take'm out & check'm don't rely on an ohm meter, just my opinion.
Hookm up one by one to a battery charger or directly off the battery w/ alligator clips.. + on top, - on body.. should get red by 7-10 sec.
Puttm back in, THEN check to see if they're getting 12v w/the key.

With the exhaust pipe on, I'm not getting any smoke.

Checked plugs like you told me. They glow when hooked directly to battery and get 9v to them when wired up

/ Injection pump ?? FORD 1600 #8  
You can take out an injector & hook it back up, hang it outside the engine & see if its squirting fuel when cranking..
CAUTION>> DONT get near the spray..

You can take out an injector & hook it back up, hang it outside the engine & see if its squirting fuel when cranking..
CAUTION>> DONT get near the spray..

That's pretty much the last thing I can do. I'm leaning more and.more to the injection pump. Just doesn't seem like enough fuel is coming out of the lines. This is starting to sound really expensive.

Thanks for the pointers

/ Injection pump ?? FORD 1600 #10  
It just depends on where you get it repaired & what they find..
& the pump removal isn't fun..
Did you ever take off the back cover, inorder to get to the control rack??
IF NOT, don't forget about the spring & shim in there..