Farmtrac

/ Farmtrac #1  

Thack

I know this has been discussed many times before but...what the heck.

I have been looking at buying a Farmtrac for about a year and have made up my mind to do so, a 555.

Many times I have heard the question is the 535 really a 2000, 3000 et cetera, and the same question asked of the other Farmtrac models.

After the dealer and I spent some time looking over a 535,545 and 555 yesterday we came to the same conclusion. The 555 is a Ford 3910 and the 535 and 545 just have a different engine, hydraulics and tires but, in a nut shell, share the same platform...correct?

This will be the 1st tractor in the family that is not red so that will take some getting use to. It will also be replacing 2 tractors so it should get about 500 hours this year.

/ Farmtrac #2  
I discovered Farmtrac in 2003 at AG Progress Days - State College, PA. I thought they were Fords from a distance. I had Ford sales literature from the 1990's which confirmed that the 555 was practically identical to Ford 3910. I spent 2004 checking out the MF-231S/MF-431 and Kubota 4800. I grew up with a Ford 8N which Dad bought new in 1951 which I still have, but I wanted live hydraulics and a live PTO to operate a rotary mower and sickle bar mower to maintain 32 acres in my retirement. All the tractor dealers I met while shopping were folks I could buy from and trust that excellent service would be available. I finally decided to buy the Farmtrac 555 and it was delivered June 2005. I decided it offered excellent value and the financing was 0% for 48 months. I equipped it with one remote and an engine block heater. I also bought both rotary and sickle-bar mowers. Everything works great and I am looking forward to mowing in 2006. I bought from a dealer in Central NY who had the 535, 545 & 555 in stock. I decided more HP might come in handy someday, so I choose the 555. I found a serious hydraulic fluid leak immediately and this was corrected in the field to my satisfaction. There was a bad "O" ring on the suction side supply line to the pump at the reservoir. I am pleased with the tractor so far and expect it to meet all my needs. By the way, I wanted a traditional farm tractor, so did not seriously consider a compact since the Ford 8N still meets all my needs. Hope my experience helps you make the right decision for your needs.

/ Farmtrac #3  
Thack I looked the Farmtrac over real well also. They are the Ford design. I wound up buying an 80. But looked at the 70 on back down. When you look at where everything is located on the tractor they are Fords. Filters, pumps, starter and such are all located in the same place on those series Fords. I even did a cross reference on the filters and it came up with a Ford filter number.

I bought before the last number change. I think the 80 is 675 now. That model has a perkins engine so it's not the Ford design. I've go 330 hours on it now and it's performed very well. Also have the loader on it too.

Farmtrac backs the product and does an outstanding effort to please the buyer. I had a hydraulic problem that was a design flaw. The Farmtrac engineers took several weeks and about 8 phone calls to solve my problem. When they were finished they shipped a kit to correct the problem and my dealer sent is repair man out to do the work at my place.

I needed a straight draw bar and they only offered a bar with a curve on the end. I have a hay conditioner that wouldn't hook to the curved bar. I don't know where they bought the new bar but it was a true Ford draw bar. Could tell by the paint and part number. They even drilled the holes to make it work on my 80. I then swapped draw bars at no charge.

My latest problem is being solved right now. My loader had two different lift cylinders. Didn't bother me that they were different but I didn't mention it to the dealer when it was delivered. The only difference was the rod end cap. They were different shape and size. The larger one started to leak some since Christmas. Called to order a packing kit. Dealer called to place the order. When he mentioned the cylinders were a bit different they wanted to replace the leaking cylinder with one that matched the good cylinder. My tractor will be two years old in May and they're shipping a new cylinder to me at no charge. I'll send the leaking cylinder back when I make the change.

So to end this I can only say great things about Farmtrac. They have backed the product to the hilt. I couldn't ask for better service and know of some other brands that I would have been shelling some $$$ out on such items. In my area Farmtrac has built a good reputation in just a few years. It's paid off for them too. When you drive around this area you can see a lot of those blue Ford looking tractors all over the county now.

/ Farmtrac #4  
Jerseyguy: I did an advanced search for Farmtrack dealers in NY but the search didn't yield any results. Can you post the name & location of the dealer where you bought yours? I'd like to take a closer look at them if the place isn't to far away.

Thanks!
Jon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Farmtrac #5  
Have you tried the Farmtrac web site? If not go to http://www.farmtrac.com/ and click on Find a Dealer. Enter your zip code and Mile Radius for your search.

/ Farmtrac #6  
Thanks for the tip. I have been relying on the DEALER section of TBN to find dealers in my area and I didn't see any Farmtrac to search on using advanced search.

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Farmtrac #7  
There are three dealers in Central NY. Only one of them had inventory last Spring and that was Paige Equipment - Rt. 104, East Williamson which is east of Rochester (315-589-6651) Ask for John Paige. Since I was in Oswego County, it was close. The dealer in Pulaski, in northern Oswego County did not have inventory for me to check out, but was beginning to get some tractors in. That dealer is Ravmar Tractor (315-298-5109). The dealer south of Syracuse, Amidon Tractor, did not have inventory either (315-682-2391). Maybe the inventory in the field has increased by now. Since you are in Eastern NY State, maybe you can find a closer dealer off the web site: farmtrac.com. I also looked at the tractors in SC last Spring while on vacation and that dealer near Charleston had lots of inventory and provided lots of info which gave me confidence I was making the right decision. Good luck. Go to the farm show at the NY State Fair grounds this month and there should be factory reps to talk to.

/ Farmtrac #8  
Yeah, it is pretty well known that FarmTrac had supply issues last yeat (2005). This year due to countless changes in their supply line (more than I care to type this morning) they finally have things straightened out. By the end of March the lead time for any tractor ordered from FarmTrac should be 1-2 weeks. So when the season picks up dealers should have all the inventory they want.

Jerseyguy do you have a 4wd FarmTrac 555 or just a 2wd?

/ Farmtrac #9  
gamble77: I purchased a 2WD Farmtrac 555. The 32 acres I will use it on is all rolling farmland about 12 miles south of Lake Ontario and the primary use will be mowing. I liked the idea of a traditional farm tractor design from the 1980's and early 1990's and could not see the need for 4WD. I also wanted to keep the cost down. I understand that using a FEL would benifit from 4WD, but I really don't have the need for a loader at this time. Although my land is in the "snow belt", I don't get up there from NJ in the winter. Otherwise, I would have considered 4WD for a rear mount rotary snow blower. I did not see a 4WD 555 last summer when I made my decision.

I appreciate the information you have posted from time to time on Farmtrac. Its nice to have up to date information.

/ Farmtrac #10  
yes it is a 3910, the only difference is the steering, witch is an inprovement. according to my dad the 2910 and 3910 are the best tractors ever built. he has been in construction for over 30 yrs and usually has tractors running at 8 or 10 different sites at all times. i showed him these farmtracs, now they are going to buy several.