farmtrac 270 spool valve

/ farmtrac 270 spool valve #1  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
What does it take to install a remote spool valve on the Farmtrac 270DTC? Is it possible and if yes, what should one expect to pay? I noticed that a remote valve comes standard on the Montana 2740 so I assume the Farmtrac unit will accommodate one also.

My needs will eventually call for a post hole digger and possibly a chipper/ shredder. Am I correct that both of these implements can be operated off of the PTO thus no hydraulics necessary? If yes, then what commonly used implements require hydraulics? I am wondering if I can I live without the remote set-up or if this will be a “I shudda” situation.

Thanks.

/ farmtrac 270 spool valve #2  
Remotes are generally used for farm implements like rakes, large tow behind mowers, etc. Most compacts in this size do not need remotes. nice to have, but usually not necessary, one good use is "top and tilt" cylinders installed on your 3 point to allow tilting your implement in two directions, this is nice for a grader blade or box blade.

/ farmtrac 270 spool valve
Thanks Blue. What would one expect to pay to have a remote valve installed, including parts?

/ farmtrac 270 spool valve #4  
I think if a tractor does not have it then it is easy to play up the lack of use of one but I would disagree, respectfully of course. With remotes on a Farmtrac or 2740 Montana it opens many doors.

You mention top n tilt and I just sold a guy a hyd top cylinder he runs off it. Another guy purchased a 3 point log splitter he runs off the remotes and not to mention a backhoe. Lets say it is a skid steer loader like the Montana has and you want a grapple, front blade, or maybe a small bale squeez then you have the hydraulics already there. Many box scrapers come with hydraulic scarifers and snow blowers with hyd. chutes and the remotes give you the existing supply. so they are of great value and use if you have them.

Thanks,
Maka

/ farmtrac 270 spool valve
Maka said:
With remotes on a Farmtrac or 2740 Montana it opens many doors. Maka

Thanks Maka. You seem to be a stand-up guy.

I have been known to be methodical, admittedly sometimes to a fault as when analysis paralysis sets in so please board, be patient with me. I have narrowed my choices down to the 270DTC and the Montana 2740 and now it just becomes a matter of price. The remote valve is a useful item and certainly sets the Montana apart from the Farmtrac. The larger tires on the green tractor do as well. The jury is out on the new curved boom loader that is available on a Montana that I am looking at. I am not yet sure the new green curved loader is an advantage over the Farmtrac. In fact, since it is a relatively new design, it may be a liability. Please chime in on this one.

Other than that, Montana dealer is at least 1 hour away while Farmtrac guy is in my backyard.

Chances are I will sit around mired in indecision and both of these babies will be sold to others leaving me stuck to pay even more when the next shipments arrive.

A R2844 maybe?

/ farmtrac 270 spool valve #6  
I think the smaller tires are a plus on the FarmTrac. I use mine for mowing around the house and 5+ acres and it really helps getting close to things. The rear tires are also a very tough 10 ply tire which I think is somewhat unique. Also, my fixed ROPS just clears my 8' garage door so I think the 20 inch tires would relegate me to the shed.

John

/ farmtrac 270 spool valve #7  
I got to thinking the easiest way to make a tractor look bigger would be to put bigger tires and wheels on it. I wonder at what point are the tires considered too big? Looking at the 270 specs and comparing to other tractors in it's size and weight range the 18" tires are spot on. What would be some advantages to having bigger tires? I can see a bit of ground clearance gained.

John