Shibaura SD2200 w/ welded crank!

/ Shibaura SD2200 w/ welded crank! #1  

cdover73

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Mahindra 4530
I was out looking for a smaller tractor to work my food plots with and ran across one that I am not considering buying, but couldn't believe what was done to it. It is an older SD 2200 4x4 and looks to be in good shape. The owner says he bought it about 3 years ago and hasn't had any trouble with it. Then he told me about the crank. He said the previous owner was a friend of his and he actually helped him repair the tractor. Apparently, the flywheel key broke and the large nut on back had come off, allowing the flywheel to spin on the crank. They tore it down and found the inside of the flywheel to be chewed up to the point that it wouldn't fit the taper of the crank any more and the keyway was non-existant. This is where I laughed in his face. He said they wrapped the crank in duct tape to make up for the clearance and welded the nut to the flywheel and the inside of the nut to the crankshaft!! He said he has been running it ever since without any problems, and I have to say it ran extremely well when he cranked it for me. I just can't believe this fix would hold and I wouldn't buy it now if it was free! I thanked him for his honesty and drove off, still laughing at what some people will do to get by. He also told me that the only other option was to buy a used crank and flywheel, but it cost $1300 and he didn't want to put that much into it. He was asking $4500 for the tractor, 4' cutter, and 4' box blade.
I have to admit I am curious though, if it has lasted this long as he said, would their 'fix' hold up longer?

/ Shibaura SD2200 w/ welded crank! #2  
cdover73,

Be thankful the owner was honest with you, not all owners trying to sell are!:rolleyes:

/ Shibaura SD2200 w/ welded crank! #3  
There are a lot of patch jobs out there. I know of a Briggs 2 cylinder that had a loose key. The owner also welded the flywheel on. I would either fix it right or not at all, but that isn't how they look at it.

/ Shibaura SD2200 w/ welded crank! #4  
JerryG said:
There are a lot of patch jobs out there. I know of a Briggs 2 cylinder that had a loose key. The owner also welded the flywheel on. I would either fix it right or not at all, but that isn't how they look at it.
Well Jerry I certainly agree with you. If a job is worth doing it's worth doing right. But other people can fix their own stuff any way they want to. I only have problem with fixes that are meant to deceive for the purpose of selling something for more than it's worth.:mad:

/ Shibaura SD2200 w/ welded crank!
I agree with that also. I am glad he was honest enough to tell me about it, even though he knew it would change my mind about buying it. I had a lengthy conversation with him about the fix, and he even drew it out on paper for me. I just can't understand how a band aid fix like that would hold for so long, especially when he said there was no key holding the flywheel on, just duct tape and a couple of welds. He said the reason he told me about it was he is so sure it will hold indefinitely that he figured it wouldn't be an issue. I still wouldn't chance it though.