Mowing BX homebrew mower stand

/ BX homebrew mower stand #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Here is my version of mower stand to hold up the 60" deck for winter storage. I made this last year and it worked well so I am using it again this year.

The second pic shows how well it's still standing up with no problem with one wheel removed on gravel.

Just an FYI, I use my FEL to move the deck around. I never use it on a blacktop or garage floor as its kinda hard to push with all the friction of metal bolt inside of wood. I might as well used square blocks , but it was nice to have it rounded off as sometimes I would need to push it a few inches here or there on the gravel.

When I made the round wooden wheels, I didnt use anything but my table saw. I drilled the hole for the bolt and used the bolt in a jig to hold my wheel while I turned it on the tablesaw. works good and its perfectly round. I countersinked the hole for bolt head and nut for a finished look.

Attachments

• closeup stand.jpg
    closeup stand.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 414
  • parts used.jpg
    parts used.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 255
  • stand in use.jpg
    stand in use.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 339
   / BX homebrew mower stand #2  
What did you use for axles? I never could find a shaft that provided a snug fit, at least not at lowes/hd.

Tried black iron and galvanized but nothing was tight. I was worried about too much slop causing the deck to fall over. Bolts I would have to special order and they would not be cheap once I paid freight and got wheels in as well. I needed to be able to roll it overland though. Sounds like you didn't need tha.

Wish I could have solved that axle dilemma really thought something that simple could have been knocked out diy instead of having to buy it from mower axle guy. That is a nice product he sales but 100.00 is a 100.00.

What wood type did you use? Not balsa I don't guess?

Last edited:
   / BX homebrew mower stand #3  
Good post...Now "we" need to make a roll around for our BH.

Don

/ BX homebrew mower stand #4  
Good post...Now "we" need to make a roll around for our BH.

Don

I ended buying three 12" square furniture dollys that northern tools sales for 15/each. Work great.

Earlier I tried one furniture dolly from hd. The bh crushed it good after sitting about 30 days.

/ BX homebrew mower stand #5  
Thanks radioman, this thread just went into my subscription folder so I can find it at any time, and check updates. Would never have thought of wooden wheels but those should work for storing it and moving it around my garage or shed. I will have to check on where to get 1" bolts. I'm thinking those should be easy to find, but ejnichol seems not to have found any near him. I also have a table saw, but have never used it for making anything round - good idea. My other thought was a 4" hole saw like the electricians use for placing round electrical boxes. Don't have one of those, but could pick one up.

/ BX homebrew mower stand
I bought the bolts and nut from my local TSC. It fit PERFECT! I used pressure treated scrap 2 by I had leftover laying around from building my garage addition. you can use regular scrap 2by6 if you have them laying around too. I figure if it scrap wood, you can make it as many times you want, even if you make new ones every other year. I used a piece of aluminum pipe that I had laying around as well for the spacers.

So really- the only cost to me was the nuts and bolts from TSC.

/ BX homebrew mower stand #7  
I used to just pick up the front and chain it up while it was on the rear wheels. But this year I am out of the barn and in a 30 x 30 garage with a real cement floor!:D So now I just take the mower off and roll it under my 79' Bronco that is stored for the winter and I built a roll around platform for my Tiller and weight box. It will also be much easier to reattach the FEL also!;)