Moved the Shed

/ Moved the Shed #1  

DennisFolsom

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4600, John Deere X380
I have a 16 ft x 8 ft shed that I have been intending to move for a long time. When I bought the tractor last August, the shed move was on my list of projects for this year.

After clearing rocks and stumps, I set six four foot precast piers. They were tapered - 9" x 9" at the bottom and 6" x 6" at the top. I used gravel to bed them. I had a lot of water coming in the holes. I had to have a bucket load of gravel ready beside the hole I was digging. I shoveled in gravel 3 or 4 inches high, set the pier in, rocked it to work it down to the elevation I wanted, then tamped gravel around the base. I used my laser level and managed to get the elevations within about 1/8" of each other. The horizontal alignment was a bit more difficult. It took 3 or 4 tries on a couple of the piers to get them where I wanted them.

I built a platform out of treated lumber, which is bolted to the piers. That should help preserve the alignment of the piers, and gave me something to roll the shed onto.

I used a couple of log skids for the initial part of the building move. I had to turn the shed approximately 90 degrees. In order to back the shed into position, I used blocking and rollers. I lagged some pieces onto the front end of the shed to give me something to hook onto with my loader. I also lagged pieces of chain onto the shed's sills. I hooked the edge of the bucket under the front end, chained from the sills to my bucket hooks, then rolled the bucket back to tighten the chains. (I should have taken pictures of this part). That gave me a fairly solid connection that I used to lift and push the building back on rollers.

I built cribwork supports under the back of the building as it started the trip. I could roll it for about a foot and a half each time before resetting the rollers. When I got back far enough, I put a pair of rollers on the platform and a pair on my cribs. When I got back farther, i put all four rollers on the platform and just pushed with the loader (chains till attached for safety.)

When the building was first rolled on, it was off to one side a couple of inches. I picked one end up with the Hy-Lift jacks, and used a come-along to tug sideways as before letting the jack down. Doing this procedure on both ends got the building aligned properly.

In looking over my photos tonight, I realize that I didn't get what might have been the best shots today while rolling the shed onto the new platform with the tractor. Anyway, here are some of the pics I did get.

I'm quite relieved to get this much of the job done. I still need to put in a culvert in the ditch, gravel and build up the path to the shed, and build a hinged wooden ramp to it.

Attachments

• P1030923.JPG
    P1030923.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 248
  • P1030925.JPG
    P1030925.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 275
  • P1030934.JPG
    P1030934.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 292
  • P1030937.JPG
    P1030937.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 244
  • P1030940.JPG
    P1030940.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 245
  • P1030943.JPG
    P1030943.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 199
  • P1030944.JPG
    P1030944.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 233
   / Moved the Shed #2  
Good job. A person gets a good feeling deep inside when a project has finally been completed. Sincere wishes that you have favorable weather conditions to finish. Good Luck.:):thumbsup:

/ Moved the Shed #4  
Good job. We have a building, a little smaller, we were going to move this year but we just never got to it. I will be revisiting this thread in late spring. Again, good job.