Smoothing Out 3pt Hitch--????

/ Smoothing Out 3pt Hitch--???? #1  

smweatherman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4700HST
The situation: MX4700HST, 50 hrs, 2 rear remotes, no draft, all hydraulics work well and smoothly except--3pt is very jumpy or jerky if you attempt to make small movements or slow, continuous movements. I would like to improve or fix this 'feature'. RPMs, fluid warm/cold, amount of weight on hitch, etc... doesn't fix. (Position control valve is YR908-00104)

Yes it is under warranty, yes I have talked with dealer. Dealer went from, I haven't heard of that issue on that tractor, we need to get that fixed for you, let me talk with tech support--to they all do that, it is way it's designed, economy tractor not premium valve...after talking to Mama Kubota.
Dealer did think I could fix the problem by replacing the position control valve with one from a previous model of 'premium' tractor (M5010 or 5110 I think he said). Anyway the story is this valve upgrade includes some kind of internal accumulator the current valve does not. (Offered valve at cost if I wanted to do work myself.) OK, if my complaint is because I didn't buy an option I really wanted I will spend on the new valve, but I have read of others getting similar problems resolved with adjustments rather than replacements (valve is apparently shared with some of the infamous L tractors with jerky hitches). I am not yet convinced I need an upgraded valve because I haven't seen much evidence this is a rampant condition with this tractor. This leads me to believe some kind of adjustment with the valve may improve/fix my complaint.
Wow, this got long. sorry

So, now the questions. Does anyone have any insight into the adjustment? Has this been accomplished with adjustments to the valve spool joint 1 and/or poppet 2 set screw as shown in the attachment (something I would try)? Or, does it require actual disassembling of the valve and shimming, replacing springs, etc...(something I probably wouldn't try)?

If accomplished with adjustments to valve spool joint and/or poppet 2 set screw: Is there a tech procedure or preferred direction or order in which to start making movements? A preferred dimension to 'fudge' on first in order to get this hitch smoothed out?

Inputs appreciated. Thanks
Wxman

Attachments

• control valve.jpg
    control valve.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 204
   / Smoothing Out 3pt Hitch--???? #2  
Dozens of threads including at least one current one now about this on L2800 L3400 L3200 L3800.. yes some have had success on getting dealers techs to fix this without valve replacement, just adjustment. Yours is the first L4700 that we have heard of with this problem.. and one L4400. I am in the same boat, but don't have the experience to fix it myself without detailed instructions and photo/drawings. My dealer was in denial, and unwilling to pursue it for me, as many are. The only hope is that there are several before and after video's on you-tube showing how well it can work after proper adjustment, but apparently it is a time consuming hit or miss thing to do. I wish you well, let us know how you make out.

James K0UA

/ Smoothing Out 3pt Hitch--???? #3  
Ask the dealer to adjust the valve per the WSM (Work Shop Man.). This is the same type of valve as the L3200 and L3800. Warranty should cover it.

/ Smoothing Out 3pt Hitch--???? #4  
What about L3700 Tex?

/ Smoothing Out 3pt Hitch--????
Well lets be truthful here. The valves were not "way out of adjustment". This implies that who ever installed them is an idiot who does not bother to look at his work. These valves are out of adjustment, not enough to notice with the naked eye (I am talking about the actual valve now, not the jerkyness). I know how much they are out of adjustment because I have adjusted one of them. Can anyone else say that? Not trying to be an a** here, but I make my living with these tractors, and I do not care if people speak the truth, but don't "skew" it too much. They have a problem with the valve adjustment that can be fixed. Simple enough.

Texas Fella
I gathered the above post from another thread. Since you have experience with the apparent required adjustment, I kindly ask, does the adjustment have to do with the dimensions A and B in the attached image, or does the adjustment require actual disassembly of the valve? Kubota and dealer are already squawking on a warranty fix (and no one has actually seen the tractor). I have the basic WSM and am not afraid to remove the top of the trans case to get to the valve if it can be adjusted. I probably wouldn't try taking the valve apart and messing with shims or grinding springs, etc...if that is what is required.

Thank you

Attachments

• control valve.jpg
    control valve.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 140
   / Smoothing Out 3pt Hitch--???? #6  
It's true that the MX series is a "value" tractor, but the adjustment is covered under warranty. We've done it on an MX4700-F and it was approved. It seems to be less common on the MX series, or perhaps less noticeable.