I'm No Crook!

/ I'm No Crook! #31  
A drop shaft from the center pto and a long driveshaft would be the easiest. A brace, couple pulleys, and block bearings would be involved. One could even gear it up a bit through the pulleys so the engine wouldn't have to run at full 540. I know my Deere sucks more fuel at 2k vs 1400. The noise level is alot less also.

Why not just change the pulley on the mower so you don't have to worry about it ever again, and you can use it with any tractor? If you can't locate a pulley with the correct hub size and design, then just bolt one to the bottom of the existing pulley and put spacers under the gearbox housing to align the belts up.
David from jax

/ I'm No Crook!
I've been using the mower deck I converted into a 3 pnt. finish mower quite a bit this season, 60" of cutting gets the job done a bit faster then the 42" deck on the wifes Cadet,;) plus she stopped cutting the lawn, and giving me a choice I'd rather be on my more comfortable yanmar than that cub mower,:D
anyway the point of me reviving this thread is to let everyone know that this "converted mower deck has been working out well" and for anyone who has had the same thoughts to try and make one them selfs its not really that difficult, Note this mower deck was from a retired commercial Zero turn type mower, so it already had a shaft driven gearbox, after I rigged it with a 3 pnt hitch I needed to come up with a way to connect the drive shaft to the PTO of the tractor, I happen to have an old pto overrun clutch adapter that had went bad, so I cut it open and used the inner part by welding it to the spline/yoke of the drive shaft, though I had to use a bolt directly through the new overrun clutch to hold it in place, Not to worry the overrun clutch along with the belt on the mower will provide enough protection to the PTO if ever were to run over something resulting in the mower jamming up,
I though I was going to have to find 2 more wheels for the front side of the deck, although cannot be seen in the photo but on the under side of the deck there are 2- 12" x 3" rollers that keep the deck at just the right height to cut the lawn ;) I do have the pully covers, I just removed them so could point out it is a pully driven mower deck with only but 1 belt that drives all 3 blades,:D

Last edited:
   / I'm No Crook! #33  
It looks great. I'm glad that it worked out for you! :thumbsup: