AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman)

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
Snapped this photo of an Amishman doing some cutting near our place yesterday. When I first spotted the smoke, I thought there may have been an implement on fire. Turns out the engine on his cutter must have seen better days. As you can see, it was kinda windy here yesterday............chim

Attachments

• 754979-AAA.jpg
    754979-AAA.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,016
   / AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #2  
Chim, its the country so we don't have to worry about smoke. Just like all the burn barrels. Nothing to worry about there is plenty of fresh air.

Chris

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #3  
When I lived back in PA I always found the scene you depicted amusing. Horse drawn farm equipment that is gas powered to do the actual task. Does this make any sense? Somehow the gas power can not be used for locomotion but is okay to thresh or cut with.

I bought a shed from an Amish builder. Had to let the phone ring for 10 minutes as it was outside, accross the street hanging on a pole.

Phil

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman)
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Chim, its the country so we don't have to worry about smoke. Just like all the burn barrels. Nothing to worry about there is plenty of fresh air.

Chris )</font>

Ahh. I must admit to owning and operating a burn barrel. It is used mostly for pizza boxes and things that won't fit into garbage bags.

I "mow" my leaves in the Fall, so they disappear, but I do like to smell burning leaves. Kinda reminds me of my childhood.

There's surely some common ground in the concern over pollution. I agree that it's a good thing that we no longer see factories belching black smoke from their stacks, but cannot get too excited over the concern some treehuggers have with cows belching "greenhouse gasses".

This photo was taken within a stone's throw from Roots. You probably know the area well....................chim

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #5  
Or one single volcanic eruption. Our personal household emmisions don't add up to much in the big scheme of things.

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #6  
My wifes family has a farm up in E-town. I get up there weekly to mow. Many of the houses around the farm have burn barrels, mostly out on our farm land. Somehow the smoke always seems to be blowing my way and generally smells like old socks. If you burn it right there isn't ususally much smoke. As you know Lancasters air leaves something to be desired. It is just a matter of time before they follow emissions testing of cars (what a pain) with a ban on open burning. I'd just like to be able to spend time on the farm with out smoke in my face.

Chris

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman)
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I lived back in PA I always found the scene you depicted amusing. Horse drawn farm equipment that is gas powered to do the actual task. Does this make any sense?
Phil )</font>

Short answer = It does to the Amish /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They do a number of things that don't make a whole lot of sense to us "English" folk. Their church elders / bishops make the rules. Not all is consistent between different groups of them. To further complicate things, there are a number of different Amish sects, and other people who look Amish.

My one SIL's parents were Amish when they were young, but joined a different Church many years ago. Some of their family is still not allowed to sit and eat at the same table because of this....................chim

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Chim, its the country so we don't have to worry about smoke. Just like all the burn barrels. Nothing to worry about there is plenty of fresh air.

Chris )</font>
We have some form of burn ban in my town year round. During the summer we have a complete ban. Once there is some moisture, "recreational fires" are allowed as long as they are using "clean" wood (untreated) and are smaller than 2'x2'. The fire department is responsible for enforcing these rules and we get many calls for "smoke investigations". Funny thing about people who don't want us to shut their illegal burn down- if they are the ones doing the burning, everything is OK. But if it their neighbor, guess who calls 911!
Bonehead

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( They do a number of things that don't make a whole lot of sense to us "English" folk. Their church elders / bishops make the rules. )</font>
Chim,
When I first moved to those parts I thought the Amish were following religious beliefs. I came to realize the rules were just as much about segregation. The rules keep them isolated as a community. That way us "English" can't influence them to much.

In that light I can understand engines for power but not for locomotion. Though I will never understand the shunning rule you make reference to.

Phil

/ AAA (Almost Asphyxiated Amishman) #10  
Was that photo taken looking across Rt. 72 towards B. R. Kreider?