Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3240

Default Re: Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"

Another thing about Stihl: They don't really sell a service manual. Seems they don't want us working on our own machine.

Maybe the same with others, I don't know. I can do a lot with a manual, but very little without one.
    Kubota L3240, disc harrow, chain harrow, rear blade, plow (don't know), hay spear, box blade

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

To be more specific, the Husky is at a box store which is $360 (no tax). The Stihl is at my local dealer for $379 + $24 tax, so it's really like $45 more.
    Even with that much more cost, the Stihl is more attractive to me since I already own 3 of them and they service what they sell.
    The reason for even considering the Husky is I've never owned one and the cost savings, but if it broke......

Tractor
    JD 4410

My buddy convinced me that I made a mistake buying a Husqvarna, since Stihl made the best chainsaws. After his well-constructed argument I agreed that I would buy a Stihl, just as soon as the Husqvarna gave me any grief. That was 12 years ago, and I'm still cutting firewood every year with the same Husky, waiting for that day when it causes me a problem.

Stihl has some nice features, such as tool-less bar adjustment and fat-finger-friendly tank caps. Both are very well made saws, but I notice that both companies have introduced new models that reach down for the lower end of the market. I wouldn't buy the least expensive saw in either line's line-up.
    4410 ePR, 3rd SCV, Skid Plates, TuffTop Canopy
    430 FEL, 48 BH, MX-5, Bush Hog Chipper, and more.

455, 60" deck, MC-519, 3pt hitch

Tractor
    JD 4410

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    To be more specific, the Husky is at a box store which is $360 (no tax). The Stihl is at my local dealer for $379 + $24 tax, so it's really like $45 more. ....
    Why is there no sales tax at the big box store? When did they become exempt from collecting tax?

Depending on your state, there may be an exemption from sales tax for farm equipment.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Go with the Stihl. I have had the other brands and think Stihl is the better value for the money. I have 4 of them.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by jeffinsgf View Post
    Why is there no sales tax at the big box store? When did they become exempt from collecting tax?

Depending on your state, there may be an exemption from sales tax for farm equipment.
    Husky is at a Big Box is in DE. No sales tax. As you probably know, Stihl is sold at pro dealers.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by jeffinsgf View Post
    My buddy convinced me that I made a mistake buying a Husqvarna, since Stihl made the best chainsaws. After his well-constructed argument I agreed that I would buy a Stihl, just as soon as the Husqvarna gave me any grief. That was 12 years ago, and I'm still cutting firewood every year with the same Husky, waiting for that day when it causes me a problem.

Stihl has some nice features, such as tool-less bar adjustment and fat-finger-friendly tank caps. Both are very well made saws, but I notice that both companies have introduced new models that reach down for the lower end of the market. I wouldn't buy the least expensive saw in either line's line-up.
    Is your Husky a 455 rancher?

Tractor
    JD 4410

No, it's a 55. Old discontinued model. I'm not sure what's comparable. Engine size is similar, though.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Iseki TA 247. Husqvarna 54", Cub Zero Turn.Polaris 850 ATV's Stihl 018 026 Pro, 029, 034 Super AV, 039, 044 Mag. Stihl Pole Saw.

Your dealer said you were running your saw with the chain brake on? Have you ever tried to run a saw with the brake on? You would know in an instance and sure would not be able to cut with it. Good plan to get a new dealer.

Tractor
    Kubota B20

I always find it funny that the farm boss line is a "homeowner grade" saw. I have had one for 7 years and it is a beast. I would go with the saw that you can get serviced and parts for more readily. i have a stihl dealer 1 mile from my house and I would never venture away because whenever I break or need something I can walk over and get it fixed.

For me $40.00 would not be worth it.
    Happy shopping!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast