Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    BX24 after years of BX22

Default Re: Thinking about adding a (?hydraulic?) thumb to my full size backhoe

The outrigger is the way to go, as long as the pressure stays on the leg on the switch over.
    We had the same plans for the outrigger, great minds....

The Thumb design look good, the 3/4" should be fine. I may help if you add some material to grab the end of the teeth.

We have not yet build that big of a ripper tooth, shipping is the biggest reason.
    Your V design sound interesting, love to see your design.
    Keep me posted,
    Richard
    Bro-Tek web site www.bro-tek.com

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by bird1968 View Post
    The outrigger is the way to go, as long as the pressure stays on the leg on the switch over.
    I didn't think of that! I wonder if the pressure does stay, I would assume so but it doesn't state that in the details of the valve I'm looking at. Hmm, I guess I'll find out

I see what you mean about the ripper and shipping. I'll think more about my design after I get this all wrapped up and can find some more scrap to play with.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor

Well,
    I just ordered my selector valve from Surplus Center, so hopefully it will work as planned.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp

I do have a lot of left over parts from my first hydraulic endeavor (the one in my sig) so I'm hoping I have most of the connections I need, aside from the hoses.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor

According to the instructions for installing the selector valve, I will need a Single Pole Double Throw Center Off switch.

I am planning on ordering this switch on amazon.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-RK19460-Illuminated-On-Off-On/dp/B0000AXT2C/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1338602075&sr=1-2-catcorr[/ame]

It seems like that is what I need, does anyone who knows anything about switches think that particular switch wouldn't work for any reason? If not, I'll order it.
    Rear Remotes Install

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

you can get cheap "dip switches" for like 5 bucks. all it takes is to drill a hole into some plastic or piece of thin flat metal. the dip switch fits through the hole and then a "nut" gets screwed on. and that is all there is to it.

for the switch you have chosen. can be a little more complicated to fit. part of it, is you will need to cut out a "rectangle" hole, and then make the hole almost perfect. so the little "plastic snap tabs" lock the switch into place.

if your tractor has "blanks" for optional stuff you could add later down the road. and all you had to do was remove a blank switch over, and install the switch. and hook up wires. then that would be ideal. but you may be forced to buy the actual switch from a dealer for the given part number for the switch.

=================

you have 2 houses going to the out rigger. to either contract or expand the cylinder on outrigger. same goes for the hyd thumb.

the diverter valve you picked up. does it mean,
    ---you just flip the switch "up" no need to hold switch and switch should automatically go back to center. and then use the outrigger lever to lower or rise the out rigger.
    --- and then if you flip the switch "down" switch goes back to center, and then you use the outer rigger lever to expand / contract the hyd thumb

does above sound correct?

does the divertor valve you are using, act like 2 3way valves. and you just need to flip the switch for a quick second and that is all that it takes to switch between out rigger or hyd thumb? or does the switch needs to stay on in the up or down position, so hyd oil goes to the out rigger or hyd thumb?

=============
    do not forget about adding a "inline fuse" if you are not able to wire things into the fuse box.
    Ryan

Tractor
    Ford Dexta, JD310B, Case 850B

Piston,

I have a JD 310B and I'm also looking to build a thumb from scratch. Do you have a picture of the final project?

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

QUOTE=Aruba1;3124820]Piston,

I have a JD 310B and I'm also looking to build a thumb from scratch. Do you have a picture of the final project?[/QUOTE]

Murph ------------

Tractor
    Ford Dexta, JD310B, Case 850B

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    QUOTE=Aruba1;3124820]Piston,

I have a JD 310B and I'm also looking to build a thumb from scratch. Do you have a picture of the final project?
    [/QUOTE]

Gracias... :-)

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba1 View Post
    Piston,

Unfortunately I don't. The reason because it isn't finished yet
    It's one of those (many) projects that I haven't found (or rather made) the time to finish up. I have it about half welded together at this point and it is sitting in my garage. I'm actually a bit nervous that it is going to be TOO heavy for my backhoe. I think I may have "overbuilt" it a little bit too much, but we'll find out......someday.

Do you have a 3rd function valve for your backhoe?
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Aruba1 welcome to the forum. Do a search of the archives. There have been numbers of threads about thumb builds and even more of thumbs people have installed with good photos.

MarkV

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast