Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Default Re: Magnetic or Blanket Heaters

Let me clarify then. Compared to other heating solutions, magnetic heaters are the least efficient. Compared to other methods, there's simply too much free air loss. It takes a very high wattage to deliver sufficient heat. Some hardware-specific blanket heaters (like a battery blanket) can deliver effective heat. They cover the whole device. But most universal blanket heaters only cover part of the device, also wasting heat to free air loss. Conversely, oil pan/sump heaters are the most efficient. They deliver the most direct heat at the lowest wattage. I can heat a 12 quart sump to a constant 125F with one 250w pan heater. Coolant heaters fall somewhere in between, but installation necessarily cuts hoses, and leaks are not uncommon. Plus - because they're immersed in coolant - they have a greater tendency to short out than do other methods. Tank heaters have limited tractor applications. Dipstick heaters are another joke. Yes they're technically oil heaters, but they're inefficient as well (and an occasional fire hazard. More wattage is wasted heating the dipstick tube than is actually heating the oil.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post
    I think you mean air cooled. High velocity air cooled for the cylinders, heads, and oil cooler.
    I would consider it oil cooled unless a water cooled engine is considered air cooled for the same reasons. Pumps the engine oil through a radiator/fan setup versus some small engines that are strictly air cooled with no radiator setup. But all of that is just semantics.

Ken
    PT1850, mini hoe, grapple, stump grinder, brush hog

http://www.usadiscountgenerators.com...T1850Home.html

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by hitts427 View Post
    Anyone try a dip stick oil heater?
    Yes, save your money.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by SpringHollow View Post
    I would consider it oil cooled unless a water cooled engine is considered air cooled for the same reasons. Pumps the engine oil through a radiator/fan setup versus some small engines that are strictly air cooled with no radiator setup. But all of that is just semantics.

Ken
    I'm just telling it like Deutz tells it to eliminate confusion, that's all. And I presume it's because high velocity air is circulated around and through the oil cooler, cylinder sleeves, and heads instead of jacket water or liquid coolant. Air is the cooling medium, not liquid coolant. Makes sense to me. Worked on many of them, even the liquid cooled V-series.
    Yuchai YCT dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe for sale.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by hitts427 View Post
    Anyone try a dip stick oil heater?
    The one I tried actually coked the oil to it. Never tried another one.
    Yuchai YCT dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe for sale.

Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

I'm just telling it like Deutz tells it to eliminate confusion, that's all. And I presume it's because high velocity air is circulated around and through the oil cooler, cylinder sleeves, and heads instead of jacket water or liquid coolant. Air is the cooling medium, not liquid coolant. Makes sense to me. Worked on many of them, even the liquid cooled V-series.
    To my knowledge, no high pressure air is being circulated within the engine. They spray oil to cool the pistons, etc. The oil is circulated to a radiator which has air from a fan on the alternator blow across it. On my tractor, there is also a fan that blows air across a hydraulic oil cooler. This fan also blows air around the engine itself.

I definitely do not recommend the dip stick oil heaters, at least not the brand I tried years ago. It cooked the oil.

With my conventional tractors, I had real good luck with the coolant heaters. I have never tried the stick on oil pan heater. I might give that a try if I ever have a situation where it seems like an appropriate solution.

Ken

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

I'm just telling it like Deutz tells it to eliminate confusion, that's all..
    Well, confusion often starts at home. Instead of the typical anti-freeze/water mixture, that engine - and I expect those in other PT models - uses oil. The same oil that's used for the hydrostatic drive, the steering, the lift. 20 gallons of it distributed by 3 pumps. Not sure about the PTO though, looks like that might be electric. Anyway, the engine coolant (oil) flows through a radiator, and subsequently loops via (the equivalent of) water jackets.

As originally stated, it's an oil cooled diesel.

That said, I was unable to determine whether the coolant oil doubles as the engine lubricant oil. I can't help but think that it has a separate sump and oil passages like a conventional diesel. If that proves to be true, a pan heater would help in this case as well.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    Jinma 284 delivered 06/28/05

The one I tried actually coked the oil to it. Never tried another one.
    Yep, the dipstick heater has to be too hot with way too little surface area to warm effectively. They coke oil till enough builds as insulation and the element burns out... Bonded oil pan type is the best as it has the largest surface area and most efficient transfer.
    Ron

Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

The hydraulic system is separate from the engine system on the PT's. The engine is cooled by the lubricating oil. The hydraulic system also uses motor oil as the hydraulic fluid but it is kept separate and typically lasts for many years with just topping off.

Ken

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

On the Deutz engine: If it has a large double belt driven fan and ductwork around the engine - it's air cooled. And yes, it will have an oil-to air heat exchanger (you call it a radiator). Oil circulating in cylinder cooling jackets is something I'll research further.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast