Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Sears Craftsman Professional 24HP

Default Tractor has FINALLY arrived!!

Well, it seemed to take forever, but my new tractor has finally arrived! Sears Canada had informed me that the customer must install the mower deck, but mine came already assembled, so this was a pleasant surprise. All I had to do was install the brush guard, top up the tank, and I was ready to roll. I went for a quick spin around the yard, though it was pretty snowy/mucky. I was surprised at how quiet it runs, and the V-Twin Kohler "Courage" engine is very smooth indeed. So far, I'm extremely pleased with my new toy... err, I mean tractor! My 12.5 cu/ft poly cart hopefully arrives next week. No point in me ordering the snowblower, weights and chains until next fall.

When I got back in the house I remembered that I was supposed to purge the transmission first. It completely slipped my mind in all the excitement of unpacking the crate and firing up the tractor. I'm hoping this isn't a big problem? I can purge it tomorrow; just hoping I haven't done it any harm by driving it for a minute or two first? (fingers crossed!)

Also, I completely understand the importance of the safety shut-off switch in the seat, but I can already see it becoming somewhat of a pain in the neck. Sheesh, that thing sure is sensitive... lean a bit the wrong way and it shuts off! I'm half tempted to try disarming the sucker! Only other thing I'm slightly bothered by is the complete lack of a hood fastener of some sort. The hood just sits there by gravity alone, loose and wiggly as can be. Has anyone come up with a good way to fasten this thing down?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions you can offer; very much appreciated! Here are a few pics, taken today, of my new tractor, right out of the crate.

Last edited by camperbc; 04-01-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Tractor

Default Re: My First Tractor! (and first post!)

Yesterday my new "Ohio Steel" 12.5 cu/ft poly swivel cart was finally delivered. My daughter and I spent about 30 minutes assembling it, and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces in the coming days, mainly for hauling gravel, top soil and firewood. I'm really liking what I see so far; it appears to be very well constructed... looks tough! (750 lb capacity) I think I snagged the last one in Canada, (through Home Hardware) as it seems these will no longer be sold in this country.

I will first cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom, for some added protection from large rocks, concrete blocks, etc. Next, I will build my little 1X3 "picket fence" sides to almost double the cart's capacity for carrying grass, twigs, firewood, etc., then paint them black to match the cart. I will report back with an update once I have spent some time with it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

congratulations enjoy
    ::welcome :::RON
    never stop learning.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Sears GT

welcome to the site.lots of great people here.have U been to Gander to watch Targa Newfoundland yet?That looks like it could be a blast to do.

Tractor

Here's a couple photos showing my new 12.5 cu/ft "Ohio Steel" swivel cart behind my tractor. It's surprising just how much this cart holds. It is extremely durable...practically indestructable. Highly recommended!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Tractor! (and first post!)-dsc02434a1000.jpg   My First Tractor! (and first post!)-dsc02432a1000.jpg  

Tractor
    2012 JD 3520 Cab 1996 JD LX172 1985 Wheel Horse

very nice tractor! I hope your having fun with it. What do you mean you were supposed to purge the transmission when you got it? I have had 4 hydrostatic drive lawn tractors in the past 10 years and never heard of having to purge them. Can you explain further

Tractor
    2011 craftsman pgt9000

very nice tractor, I find them loaded with power and will cut a foot of grass no problem, providing blades are sharp. Add a 44" blower and you'll be throwing snow 60" in the air. Make sure you change oil and lube all your joints, bearings, and blade arbors regularly and she'll give you no problems.

Tractor
    John Deere 4600, Craftsman YT4000

I have a similar Craftsman lawn tractor, but with the B&S 24 hp engine. The purging procedure is in the manual. It helps to remove any air that may be trapped in the hydrostatic drive mechanism, It can be done any time. IMO, no big deal if you ran it some before doing the purge, The purge would really be needed if the hydrostatic was sluggish, due to being "airbound."
    I'm "going green" - my "4-wheeler" is a John Deere 4600 HST!

Tractor
    MF 2410 TLB

Nice machine, enjoy this great site.
    Man is not free unless government is limited.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12