Ford 1700 starting problems

/ Ford 1700 starting problems #1  

cjfling

Silver Member
Hi all,

I just bought a "slightly" used 1979 Ford 1700 tractor. It had some obvious things wrong and some not so obvious. I've had to replace the battery and will have to put all four tires on at some point. The current issue is that it won't start. With the new battery, when I hit the key, I could see the fan/crank/etc. turn about 20 degrees and stop. After checking connections, replacing the battery cable clamps, and verifying 12volts at the solenoid, I put 12volt from the battery directly to the solenoid. I could hear a spinning sound. At this point I took the starter in to the local parts house and they said something about one part working, but the other not. They had difficulty finding a reasonable replacement and so I had it rebuilt locally. He replaced the solenoid, brushes, some other minor stuff, painted/cooked the inside coating, and painted the outside case. When I picked the starter up, the guy hooked it up to a battery and showed me it engaging and spinning. After reinstalling the starter, I had the same results but noticed the alternator was really hot to the touch. I couldn't keep my hand on it. It doesn't get hot until I try to crack the engine. Now I'm wondering if there is a short inside the alternator that is draining enough power that the starter doesn't have enough power to crank the engine?

Thanks for any advice and comments,

Jason

/ Ford 1700 starting problems #2  
you can disconnect the alternator and take it out of the equation.

/ Ford 1700 starting problems
you can disconnect the alternator and take it out of the equation.

If I tried this, would I physically leave the alternator in place and with the belt connected? If not, would I have to get a small belt so that the cooling fan would still operate or would I be able to run it momentarily without the fan?

Thx

/ Ford 1700 starting problems #4  
yes to leaving the alternator in place. disconnect the wires. if you posted this in the ford section you would get better responses from guys who know way more about your tractor model than i do.

/ Ford 1700 starting problems
yes to leaving the alternator in place. disconnect the wires. if you posted this in the ford section you would get better responses from guys who know way more about your tractor model than i do.

Ok. I will try starting it without the alternator. I never know whether to post this kind of question in the repair or brand forums. I've reposted in the Ford section. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288909&p=3432386#post3432386 Will continue the discussion there. Thx

Last edited: