Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Any chance the fuel filter is installed upside down? Not questioning your ability but it's something I could do if I was hurrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly807 View Post
    I was expecting to have to bleed the system when I changed my fuel filter, but I just made sure the bowl was full and it never missed a beat after starting. Sean
    That's how mine went also, I was in a hurry and actually just forgot about bleeding it.
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere UTV w/plow

Default Re: Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter

Update: Here's what happened in case it can help someone else some day: I took the filter back off to look at everything, thinking maybe one of the o-rings was pinched or something. Also was worried that I failed to remove some part of the plastic wrapper from the filter and it plugged something, and compared the new filter to the old to make sure they were the same dimensions, etc. Everything looked ok.

Next opened injection lines where they exit the injection pump (not possible to reach the other end of those lines unless fuel tank is removed) and attempted purge one at a time. To do this I had to grind down a wrench because the connecting nuts are practically touching each other. Got my wife to crank for me, but did not get fuel to flow.

Can't be shut down for too long, so this afternoon had someone come out from my dealer. One of the mechanics came out and we pressurized the fuel tank with air, got some air out of the line going to the little boost pump, and then purged all 4 injection lines again. This was enough cranking to run the battery down, had to jump it, but eventually got fuel to come out, closed lines, and got running again. Took about 1/2 hour with two of us. I don't know why the bowl didn't fill in the beginning. Next time I will leave the ring a little loose and let fuel spill over a little before tightening. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. You will note that the suggestions on this thread were enough to fix this, but I started to run short of both time and confidence. Glad to be up and running again. And lucky we are having dry sunny weather since the machine was parked outside for this.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

Good to hear you got it going, they aren't usually such a pig to get going after a filter change.

Sean

Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Glad that everything worked out. Now you need some snow to push around.
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Nice, glad it worked out. In the last 10 year It happened twice to me with my Ford. it was pretty easy to do it the first time and I promised myself to never let that happen again. Two months ago while fuel was low I decided mow the ditch as I was heading to barn. As soon as I entered the ditch , the fuel sloshed around empty tank and injector sucked some air and killed the tractor deader than a door knob. After two hrs of fetching diesel and fiddling with the tractor I got it started. No more... I hope.

JC,
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere UTV w/plow

Learned my lesson, I was pretty casual about it to begin with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123