Converting 3pt Carryall to JD FEL Mount

/ Converting 3pt Carryall to JD FEL Mount #1  

LAXPatrick

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310
Here's my first stab at a fab project - about time!

I bought a light duty carryall that uses a 3 point mount and want to convert it to work with my quick attach FEL mount on my JD 430 loader (on my 4310).

Here's a pic of the carryall:

forks1.jpg

And how my bucket mounts look:

bucket.jpg

I cut some 10 inch pieces for each side of the lower mount- they'll match up nicely to the carryall frame, so I'll probably weld those in place after I've had the hole machined in the stubs for the lower pin mounts. For the top, I'll use similar stubs for the hook mounts.

side1.jpg

The top mount will be tricky since I need to leave a gap in the middle of the bar(s) I mount the hooks to so that I can still use the toplink for 3 point attachment. Here's a view from the top - you can see the black hooks hanging in place:

top.jpg

So I'll need to have a break in the top mounting bar to clear the toplink mount:

front1.jpg

I can weld the top bar along where it is next to the caryall frame and think I'll put a bolt through in the angle supports as well. I'll probably put vertical supports between the top and bottom stubs for further strength to tie them together.

Only other issue is how to mount the pins - Planning to machine the holes in the lower stubs and weld them in place around the perimeter of each.

I realize this is light duty - mainly need this for moving pallets of horse bedding and for carryall use.

What do you think of my plans? Suggestions before I start cutting holes and get sparks flying? Welder is a Millermatic DVI MIG.

Thanks,

LAXPatrick

/ Converting 3pt Carryall to JD FEL Mount #2  
Sounds like a nice breakdown and project. Wish I could see the pictures.

Cliff

/ Converting 3pt Carryall to JD FEL Mount
Crap. Stupid Webshots! Can't seem to link to the pics.

I was able to link to the pics, but couldn't put them in here...

Ahhhh... PhotoBucket gains another customer! Slick! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Converting 3pt Carryall to JD FEL Mount #4  
Hey, I can see the pictures now. Looks pretty good. Seems to me that JD sells the quick mount brackets made to weld onto your equipment for maybe $30. It might be you could incorporate those into your plans and make life a little easier.

How long are the forks? They look short, although that may be an optical illusion (or it might just look like and optical illusion).

Cliff

I bought the hardware from JD - the black hooks are hanging in place and the pins are not since they need to be welded in. That's another potential weak point - welding a 1" pin/cylinder to a flat plate...

Yeah, they're relatively short forks. Designed to have have extensions added to get to 42" total.

/ Converting 3pt Carryall to JD FEL Mount #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That's another potential weak point - welding a 1" pin/cylinder to a flat plate... )</font>

Drill through the plate, put the pin through the hole and weld both sides. I built a set of forks for my JD 4310 and that is how I welded the pins. I have had no problems so far.

Here is a link to my forks.

Well, they're done! I basically welded it up exactly as the mock up with the exception of a 1/4" plate machined for the pins and welded front and back for the lower stubs where the pins are now mounted. I also made each of the upper stubs 21" to mate up to the toplink mount for additional stability and I can still use the toplink.

I welded up pretty much all of the surfaces and I've got some decent triangulation from the supports. Time will tell if I need to weld up a couple of vertical supports between the upper and lower mounts, I think it'll do fine for my purposes.

Overall, I'm pleased - I've got a carryall that I can mount in the front or the back of my tractor in a matter of seconds. Total cost: $140 for the carryall, $20 or so for the steel - Millermatic DVI strikes again!

I'll post some pics later - too tired to do it yet tonight!

LAXPatrick
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Converting 3pt Carryall to JD FEL Mount #8  
Great project! I did something like that for my forks and it has been well worth the effort.

Nice picture presentation also.