Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL

/ Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
It was dealer mounted so I don't know anything about the joystick. I want to add a bucket mounted grapple such as I've seen on other posts where it is necessary to add an electronic switch, another cylinder and valve to run the grapple. If my memory serves me right, the joystick has a place for an elecrtic button...perhaps to add a function to it? Not sure about this so I will take pictures this weekend and post them.

My question is this: Can I use that joystick if it allowing me to switch to grapple use when I add another set of valves for the grapple? Anybody know? If it seems like I don't know what I'm talking about it's because I don't know diddly about it...but not too embarrased to ask. I'll post more when I get back with more pictures. Here's a (poor) picture of the joystick in the middle of the photo. Maybe some help to start?
Thanks,

Attachments

• 878692-Rear Clamps for Tools.JPG
    878692-Rear Clamps for Tools.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 920
   / Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL #2  
The joystick itself simply controls both spools of the loader valve.

If the joystick knob will accept a switch or button to control a third function solenoid or diverter then just go out and purchase and install the button or switch.

If you go the electric diverter route, activating the switch will energize the diverter, which diverts fluid to another set of cylinders that will be controlled by one of the loader valve spools (and the joystick motion). Typically the curl function is the one diverted.

If you go with a third function solenoid, this is like adding a third spool that will be totally controlled the the switch on the joystick. Joystick motion will have no effect on operation. The switch is usually a 3 position (off is in the center). The switch can be activated while using one of the loader functions but flow to the functions will be distributed according to valve design and plumbing. In other words, activating multiple functions might operate slower.

I hope that answers your question.

/ Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL
Mad,
Thanks for the quick reply. I do have a couple more questions.
Of these two variations, </font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you go the electric diverter route, activating the switch will energize the diverter, which diverts fluid to another set of cylinders that will be controlled by one of the loader valve spools (and the joystick motion). Typically the curl function is the one diverted.)</font> Does this mean I will not be able to curl while using the grapple attachment?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you go with a third function solenoid, this is like adding a third spool that will be totally controlled the the switch on the joystick. If you go with a third function solenoid, this is like adding a third spool that will be totally controlled the the switch on the joystick. Joystick motion will have no effect on operation. The switch is usually a 3 position (off is in the center). The switch can be activated while using one of the loader functions but flow to the functions will be distributed according to valve design and plumbing. In other words, activating multiple functions might operate slower.)</font> Does this mean I will need to add another valve/spool, but it will allow me to use ALL the functions?

I regard your opinions highly, so which one would YOU recommend? Any advantage/disadvantage for them? Which is easier to do? And, in any case, if I understand, I would need another spool/valve to control the extra cylinder(s) for the grapple attachment? Is that right? Or does the first option not need another valve, I just lose one of the bucket controls?
Thanks,

/ Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does this mean I will not be able to curl while using the grapple attachment? )</font>

With a diverter that is correct. hoses from the spool valve that go to the curl cylinders instead go to the diverter. Out of the diverter comes 2 sets of hoses, one set to the curl cylinders and one set to the grapple cylinders.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does this mean I will need to add another valve/spool, but it will allow me to use ALL the functions?)</font>

Yes, however the other valve/spool is the electric/hydraulic solenoid valve. This valve connects into the hydraulic circuit like any other aux valve in series with the loader valve.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And, in any case, if I understand, I would need another spool/valve to control the extra cylinder(s) for the grapple attachment? Is that right? Or does the first option not need another valve, I just lose one of the bucket controls?)</font>

The first option is a diverter valve that connects into the spool work ports (the lines going to the cylinders). The second option connects into the main hydraulic circuit just like any other aux valve. Connecting either is roughly the same amount of work. The second option is just under $100 more but it is more flexible in that you are not dependent on the loader valve for operation.

You have to decide which way is better for YOU. I decided that option 2 was right for what I wanted to accomplish.

Mad,
Thanks for clearing that up. I understand now...looks like I will attempt option #2. I can see having to use the curl in conjuction with the grapple movement at times.
Next step is to get that grapple and then I will probably be asking more questions...again.
I'll check the valves/spools etc. I will need to do this by reviewing some threads I saved. However, any suggestions to point me in the right direction (at this point) would be helpful, if not too redundant.
When I get back I'll post a better photo of the joystick to get your opinion on it.
Thanks,

/ Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL #6  
I bought the kit for my loader from WR Long. It included the valve, fittings, hoses, mounting bracket, wiring and button knob for the joystick. Cost was a little over $500 delivered. I changed some fittings and made 4 hoses from 2. I priced everythng out individually and their price was in the ballpark.

Yes, I saw that on the other threads.
That's what I will order. Any suggestions on the grapple attachment itself? Any preference there from those posted? My bucket is 72" and the loader has around #3000 lb capacity (I think).

/ Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL #8  
My grapple came from Andy Tatro. Before ordering from anyone you should measure from the cutting lip edge to the top edge of the bucket. That will determine the grapple length.

/ Joystick Question Koyker 195 FEL #9  
There are several and I can't speak for all of them, but I can tell you about the one I bought.

http://www.dehnerwelding.com/THEARM.html

It didn't look all that big in pictures, but when it arrived, it was much bigger than I expected. However, it only weighs about 130 lbs.

The first reason I choose it was it was a few inches wider than some of the other. The second reason was the curved shape.

The only drawback I've seen so far (aside from it probably being a little too big for my tractor) is it doesn't have any teeth like some of the others.

I got a photo of the joystick this weekend. You can see the the inserts covering one large spot on the front view and 2 smaller spots on the sides. Are these likely locations for the switch? Are there switches that will fit one of them?

Attachments

• 880473-JOYSTICK.JPG
    880473-JOYSTICK.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 728