Simplicity Legacy XL

/ Simplicity Legacy XL #11  
Guys, I would use caution regarding this thread. The caution being a troll alert. There is a member of this forum who seems to seek out owners of the best, well made garden tractors and then will do the thing he is famous for. The Boston Red Sox grounds crew mow Fenway Park with a Simplicity tractor.

/ Simplicity Legacy XL #12  
I've got a bx and a legacy xl and love them both. Use the xl for mowing, leaf collection and plowing snow. Use the bx for backhoe work and ground engagement work and bought a set of pin on forks this year. I can see trading up from the bx in my future but I plan to have the xl for as long as I'm cutting grass and doing the usual yard chores most of us have.

/ Simplicity Legacy XL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1*I've got a bx and a legacy xl and love them both.
2* Use the bx for backhoe & ground engagement work and bought a set of pin on forks this year.

3*Use the xl for mowing, leaf collection and plowing snow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1*
2*Use my BX23 for Back hoe and loader work and probably about 90 % of the mowing.
The clamp on forks are really handy.
3* Use BX1500 to mow the remaining 10 percent and for towing things like a drag lawn trailer and pulling things with a chain.
4*Use another BX1500 for Tiller and front blade work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/ Simplicity Legacy XL #14  
It's not a Legacy XL, but I have a Simplicity Prestige in MF red, bought new in 2007, and it's a very solid machine. I consider John Deere, Kubota, and Simplicity (in no particular order) a league apart from all other tractor style lawn mowers. I especially like Simplicity's ACT (automatic controlled traction); it works great on slopes and around ditches. My only complaint is that their decks are a little harder to put back on after you take it off than JD (at least mine is harder to put back than the deck on Dad's JD 345). I guess that ties into the issue of the grease fittings being on the underside of the deck, requiring removal to grease the spindles. Overall though, these are minor complaints since no deck is fun to take on and off.

I'm also happy that Simplicity hasn't diluted their name by developing a lower end machine to meet a national retailer's price point. I believe this helps keep their quality and image up. With Simplicity, there is no confusion as to which model is sold at Lowes and which is sold at the dealer; no inquiries about the differences between the "big box" mowers and the ones at dealers. While this undoubtedly eliminates bragging about huge market share, it helps those of us who own Simplicities because when resale time comes, our machines have an image of uncompromising quality and used Simplicities aren't competing in price with almost identical looking Simplicities down at the mega store selling for $1500-2000.

Doesn't Simplicity make Snapper too, which is now being sold at Sears. So, I think Simplicity took a different, perhaps smarter approach, to selling in the big box stores while protecting the Simplicity name.

Shop for Lawn Tractors in the Lawn & Garden department of Sears.com

/ Simplicity Legacy XL #15  
   / Simplicity Legacy XL #16  
As the dealer explained it to me when I bought, and as best I can tell he is correct (he should know since he's been selling them for decades), Simplicity, Snapper, and Ferris mowers are all owned by Briggs and Stratton now and are part of the Briggs and Stratton Outdoor Power Group. Simplicity used to be made by AC. Now Simplicity makes MF, Agco, and the new AC mowers. The new AC mowers and the Snapper series that is sold at Sears (also sold at dealers) is more closely kin to a Murray (which B&S also bought) than to any dealer only Simplicity or clone model.

This being the case, I tend not to lump the Snapper at Sears into the Simplicity brand image since there is no corresponding model in the Simplicity lineup. But I will agree handling box store sales in this manner does serve to protect the Simplicity brand image.

/ Simplicity Legacy XL
As the dealer explained it to me when I bought, and as best I can tell he is correct (he should know since he's been selling them for decades), Simplicity, Snapper, and Ferris mowers are all owned by Briggs and Stratton now and are part of the Briggs and Stratton Outdoor Power Group. Simplicity used to be made by AC. Now Simplicity makes MF, Agco, and the new AC mowers. The new AC mowers and the Snapper series that is sold at Sears (also sold at dealers) is more closely kin to a Murray (which B&S also bought) than to any dealer only Simplicity or clone model. The snapper dealer here it was a smooth trasnition

This being the case, I tend not to lump the Snapper at Sears into the Simplicity brand image since there is no corresponding model in the Simplicity lineup. But I will agree handling box store sales in this manner does serve to protect the Simplicity brand image.

The Snapper dealer here told me it was a smooth transition changing over to handling Simplicity because Snapper was Simplicities parent company .

/ Simplicity Legacy XL #18  
The comment was made on one of the replys that Simplicity is made by Allis Chalmers. Not sure that is correct. I believe that Simplicity is now owned by Briggs & Stratton. I think the manufacturing is still done by Simplicity although there has been some plant consolidation under the Briggs ownership. Will admit I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that is the status of Simplicity manufacturing.

/ Simplicity Legacy XL #19  
There is a Simplicity Legacy (I'm assuming XL) w/ Front End Loader for sale in my region for $5200. It has a 25HP kohler.
I am not selling it, but because the price looked so good, I thought someone here might be interested.

I'm assuming it is probably against rules to post a link, but if you PM me, I'll send it to you.

I'm in PA, tractor is in Annapolis MD.

/ Simplicity Legacy XL #20  
The Snapper dealer here told me it was a smooth transition changing over to handling Simplicity because Snapper was Simplicities parent company .
Then your dealer told you wrong... and I'd be concerned about going back to that dealer...

If you're really interested, here's a brief history of Simplicity and who's owned them, and who they owned... it has some twists and turns.

History

For example, Allis Chalmers owned them for a while, and invoked the "anger" of a Federal antitrust suit after buying them, but then Allis went under and now Simplicity owns the rights to the Allis Chalmers name. Simplicity bought Giant Vac, Ferris and Snapper over the years, then was themselves bought up by Briggs and Stratton...

Other than that, I won't comment on LBrown trolling to bash other brands and promote his beloved BX machines... He does it on multiple discussion forums, and not just here.

My question is if they're really SO GREAT why does he need three of them to do his chores -- wouldn't ONE good machine suffice?