Anyone using a mulch kit?

/ Anyone using a mulch kit? #1  

jim2345

Hi,

I'm going to buy a riding mower - probably a Simplicity Regent 19.5/38 to mow my 1+ acre yard. It's got slopes and it's lumpy and has lots of obstacles and tight places. For many years I've used a 22" push mower with mulching deck and I always mulch. Usually I can't even see the clippings - unless I let the grass get too long between mowings.

When talking to the dealer about the Regent I might buy I asked if he could set it up with the available mulch kit. He tried very hard to talk me out of it. He asked me if I like to rake because I'll be doing a lot if it if I put on the mulch kit. He says the deck really isn't designed for mulching and what happens is that the clippings all fall out at the blocked-off discharge port, leaving a trail of clippings behind as you mow.

I really don't want the large discharge chute and with the mulch kit on I can get very close to obstacles on both sides of the mower. But I don't want to be stupid about this - especially as the mulch kit costs $100. So do any of you have experience using the mulch kit for this machine - or any other? What is your experience and do you think I should take the dealer's advice?

THANKS!

/ Anyone using a mulch kit? #2  
My experience with mulch kits is with the Simplicity zero turns, both the Citation and the Champion. I use both and have used each with and without the mulch kits and IMO, I think the mulch kits are great.

What I really like is you get close with either side of deck and is great is it stops all the dust/debris from coating me on a windy day as the ZT's really push it out the chute.

From your post you are already aware of the advantages and disadvantages. You should clean your deck more often with the kit, but it is really minimal. Like I said my experience is with their ZT's, so I would ask the dealer when he said deck wasn't designed for it, then what is different on the ZT's deck. The Champion is a stamped deck...in case he makes a reference to stamped vs fabricated decks. Also the Citation's kit uses the same blades where the kit with the Champion's kit came with different blades.

In the end, it is something you will have to pay for to try. Sometimes it takes money to find out wether something works for you even if it doesn't work for someone else.

/ Anyone using a mulch kit?
Thanks Tompet.

The decks look similar to me - I saw them in his showroom. I'm hoping to hear from other people too because I'd like to tell this guy that I got a zillion replies from poeple like you who use mulch kits and have no problems.

/ Anyone using a mulch kit? #4  
I have a Regent 22/44 with the mulching kit. This mower does a great job compared to others I've owned. To prevent happening what your dealer discribed you must mow more often cutting only about 1/3 the length of grass and drive somewhat slower. Never mulch when grass is wet. I sure like to admire the lawn when the job is done. The Regent has a rather long wheelbase(I think 50inchs) and with only the 38 mower it will make getting close to edges difficult at best. Mine has the 44 inch deck and I wish it had the 50 inch. Your dealer don't sound like someone I would care to work with. I did take off the Simplicity mulching blades and put Gator blades on. They are a nicer blade IMO.