Broadmoor 16hp v-twin broken piston rod

/ Broadmoor 16hp v-twin broken piston rod #1  

jdguay

Tractor
Simplicity Broadmoor 16hp
Last week my 2002 Broadmoor started vibrating like crazy. Brought to my dealer after a week of diagnosing he found one of the piston rods is broke. He says the repair will be $1100. A new motor $1400.

I am wondering if I have to stick with a briggs 16hp v-twin or if its possible to install a different size. For example I have found a used simplicity with a 18hp v-twin for $300. Can I install this in my tractor?

This is killing me because I spent almost $2500 for this tractor 8 years ago, it cuts great but I can't justify an $1100 repair. How does this happen anyways, I have always changed the oil, it only has 305 hours!

/ Broadmoor 16hp v-twin broken piston rod #2  
depending on where the rod is broke will determine why it failed. It could be due to something else coming loose inside the engine. I have also found stuff inside of engines and transmissions that doesn't belong that lead to failures. the 18 hp is most likely the same block as your 16 hp but may have a different charging system or may not have a fuel pump so compare features before doing the switch.