Simplicity Legacy 1997 steering problem

/ Simplicity Legacy 1997 steering problem #1  

jetblue4400

Tractor
Kubota Bx2200
I have a 1997 legacy with a Kohler 25hp engine and a 60 inch deck with tilt steering and about 1450 hours and have a lot of play in the steering wheel.There is about a total of 2 inches of a dead band in the wheel before it starts to move the steering piston.The wheel itself is not loose. I don't know if its in the Hydraulic steering unit or in the tilt assembly unit or may not be in either unit. Any thoughts about this problem.

Thanks Robert

/ Simplicity Legacy 1997 steering problem
I think I found the problem.I pulled back the rubber boot up from the tilt steering column and looked at the mechanics of the steering when the wheel is turned and found there was a lot of play of a square rod mating to a female adapter on the tilt steering assembly.I removed the complete tilt steering assembly by removing only the 4 nuts that hold the whole unit onto the chassis,I did not need to remove the steering wheel. The entire unit came off with no problem about 5 minutes.The steering unit came off with the wheel attached and the square rod which was now exposed (called the adapter splined hub ) was attached to the chassis.It just fits into a geared female adapter on the front of the tractor. Both the adapter and the female clamp attached to the tilt steering assembly were worn.The adapter splined hub can be purchased for $32.50 but the clamp is part of the tilt steering assembly and can not be purchased.You must buy the whole steering assembly and that cost $452.00. So what I,am going to try to do is fill some of the area in the female clamp with some JB weld and file and sand to fill in the slop and on the adapter which is steel I will fill some of the area with welding material and file and sand.The clamp is made of aluminum so I can't weld material into it.I have some pictures of what the two units look like.

Attachments

• IMG_1421 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1421 (Medium).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_1423 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1423 (Medium).JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_1417 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1417 (Medium).JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1418 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1418 (Medium).JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 469
   / Simplicity Legacy 1997 steering problem
Fixed the problem for the awhile.Instead of welding material in the tilt steering clamp I decided to just use some Jb weld to fill the slop then file and sand to match the square of the adapter.I also used some jb weld to fill the small slotted opening as shown on the gear adapter rod and filed and sanded.I installed the gear adapter into the chassis female gear then fit the steering wheel ,tilt steering assembly clamp onto the rod and then onto the four bolts on the frame that hold the steering assembly tightened the four nuts then tightened the two torx screws on the clamp that holds the adapter gear rod.Now there is 1/4 inch play instead of 2 inches in the steering wheel and No dead band and steers great.The only worry is how long the JB wild will last without wearing like the aluminum did.Maybe it will never happen in my time because the tractor is 14 years old now and the first time that the steering was repaired.Here are some more pictures of what I'am talking about.
Robert

Attachments

• IMG_1403 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1403 (Medium).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_1400 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1400 (Medium).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_1411 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1411 (Medium).JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1410 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1410 (Medium).JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 645
   / Simplicity Legacy 1997 steering problem #4  
Robert, Did the Jb weld hold up on the steering. Rick

/ Simplicity Legacy 1997 steering problem #5  
if you have a friend that is good at metal fab he could make that out of steel for you. that would be my thought on the matter.dont look tohard to fab one out of steel.