How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors?

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #11  
I 2nd that opinion above. I did the same thing. Cut with two ZTR's a Snapper Pro model and a Ferris IS2000 on the same bumpy terrain. The Ferris is the better machine especially on bumps. And there really is an advantage being able to go almost 10mph when cutting the grass on a big area.

Steve

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #12  
Simplicity lawn and garden tractors are very solidly built, and their decks are second to none. My only issue with Simplicity, and it's an issue that goes for any make, is to check out your local dealer support. The most stable dealerships around here are JD; dealers for other brands of lawn and garden equipment seem to come and go every few years. The MF dealer that I bought my mower from went out of business a couple years ago and when I needed a dealer to fix the power steering on my MF 2823 (Simplicity Prestige in a red dress) I had to call 3 different dealers to find one that was even willing to look at the problem and try to fix it. One of those dealers even went so far as to say that they sell the mowers, and would order a new one if I wanted it, but they don't repair them.

In spite of this, if I were buying a new mower today, Simplicity would be at the top of my list because of their decks.

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #13  
I have a 48 year old Allis Chalmers B-10 garden tractor that was built by Simplicity that my father bought new and is still going strong:thumbsup:, but I doubt today that any $2000 tractor will last, 'cause they just don't build them like they used to, if they did you couldn't afford to buy it....

Just a point of reference, he paid over $1000 for the tractor, mower deck, snowthrower and 10" plow in '64, quite a sum of money back then for a lawn mower, but time has proven it was a good investment.

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors?
Simplicity lawn and garden tractors are very solidly built, and their decks are second to none. My only issue with Simplicity, and it's an issue that goes for any make, is to check out your local dealer support. The most stable dealerships around here are JD; dealers for other brands of lawn and garden equipment seem to come and go every few years. The MF dealer that I bought my mower from went out of business a couple years ago and when I needed a dealer to fix the power steering on my MF 2823 (Simplicity Prestige in a red dress) I had to call 3 different dealers to find one that was even willing to look at the problem and try to fix it. One of those dealers even went so far as to say that they sell the mowers, and would order a new one if I wanted it, but they don't repair them.
In spite of this, if I were buying a new mower today, Simplicity would be at the top of my list because of their decks.

Thanks for your input! Is a Simplicity and a Snapper lawn tractor basically the same mower? Snapper appears to be a little cheaper.

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #15  
I have a 48 year old Allis Chalmers B-10 garden tractor that was built by Simplicity that my father bought new and is still going strong:thumbsup:, but I doubt today that any $2000 tractor will last, 'cause they just don't build them like they used to, if they did you couldn't afford to buy it....

Just a point of reference, he paid over $1000 for the tractor, mower deck, snowthrower and 10" plow in '64, quite a sum of money back then for a lawn mower, but time has proven it was a good investment.

My dad sold those units back in the 60's and 70's...
They were one of the first units to my recollection that had rollers on the back of the deck to facilitate grooming the grass...
They were expensive units...
At $1000K 40 years ago would equate to over $5K or $6K today...
At best a $2K lawnmower will give you adequate service if you keep it up...
Simplicity makes a very good unit...

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #16  
The Snapper LT, YT, and GT series are made by Simplicity and the tractors are almost identical to a Simplicity. The Snapper decks are a bit different than the Simplicity decks I believe. I don't think the Snapper decks have the full width roller on the back like Simplicity, MF, and AGCO.

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #17  
You forgot Ferris. At a demostration I drove a Simplicity Zero Turn with the independent suspension on each corner and a suspension seat. I then drove a zero turn without the suspension seat or suspension running gear and the ride difference was very noticeable. A Simplicity or Ferris with the suspension system would in my opinion allow for a more smoother ride and less back pain from jarring when mowing fast with a zero turn.

Used the ferris full suspension at work 11 acres heavy couch grass rough paddocks.
Exellent mower ,we clocked it cutting at almost 20 kph side by side a truck in the driveway .
It cut beautifully with sharp blades at full speed and the faster you go the smoother the ride .
very impressive unit but high pressure wash will blow the stickers off ,the adhesive is chewy.
I bought works old 7112 ish simplicity 3 blade 18 hp machine for $800 aus and i just blew the diff pulling a full sized tandem trailer up the gravel driveway.the wheelspin killed it.will fix it because its well worth it
If the new simplicity is as good a working machine as a ferris it will be an awesome unit.

Last edited:
   / How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #18  
my dad had a 1968 wards garden mark made by simplicity .with 16hp repower with 36"tiller an 48"mower and 36" dozer blade. it all is still running today. it was used commercially year round . im buying a second gen sunstar 20 gth now. that should speak how well the garden tractors are made and last.

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #19  
I have a sunstar 20 gth its 21 yr old . has 60 inch deck. 48inch two stage blower. its going strong orige motor . you can view video on you tube of it. under simplicity sunstar 20 gth blowing snow. there are many more on their to. 20 -30 an 40 yr old simplicitys. that will give you a good idea of the life of them.hope this helps you ?

/ How reliable and durable are Simplicity Lawn tractors? #20  
I have 2 Sunstars and if I could buy a new Sunstar I would do it. Unfortunately my Sunstars both are lawn tractors without the 3 pt hitch. I would be totally happy if someone was scrapping a Sunstar that had a good 3 pt hitch for sale at a reasonable cost. Then I would be toally happy! Simplicity is the best, mind you for some reason green paint must be expensive!