Engine runs then quits

/ Engine runs then quits #1  

Mal AC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Allis Charlmers 616, Simplicity 3410, Cub Cadet 1605, Allis Chalmers 310
I have a '72 Simplicity 3410 with a 10 horse briggs engine. I was mowing lawn and it just quit. We cleaned out the carberator many times, I bought a new spark plug, checked the engine compression, and it runs for about 2 mins and it dies. When we were cleaning the carberator, we cleaned it and put back on and tried to start it and gas leaked from the carberator, and the spark plug was black on the bottom. We got it to run for a few mins but keeps dieing. I dont know whats wrong or how to fix it, nor does my dad. Has anyone had a problem similar to this or could help?

/ Engine runs then quits #2  
Does that have a fuel line at all? You might want to make sure the fuel line hasn't gone soft and is collapsing. Black plug means it is way too rich at times. Or you could have a cylinder leak or valve leak. How is the oil? Has it been changed lately? Is it as thick as syrup? If you have a compression tester maybe check that. Some of the carbs are made of aluminum and will oxidize up.. Another thing to look at is an air leak between carb and cylinder head. If you can get it to stop leaking enough and restarted. Once it is running squirt WD-40 around the carb to cylinder connection. Make sure all linkage especially the governor vane is loose and working. There could be a spring that has come off closing the choke butterfly possibly.

/ Engine runs then quits
it has a fuel line, i could replace it. i just changed the oil and then it stop running. the compression tester says 100 psi.

/ Engine runs then quits #4  
If you can look at the fuel line and see if it is really soft and squishy. I am not sure what compression should be on that motor. Maybe one of the other Briggs/Stratton guys can pipe in here?

/ Engine runs then quits
I havent done anything, ive been working, ill try to change the fuelline tomorrow

/ Engine runs then quits #7  
Mal Ac, gas leaking from carb and black on spark plug indicate junk in the carb float valve is sticking or has junk stuck in it. Check fuel line for water and junk. Clean out the carb especially the fuel path and check for sticking before reassembly.