Tractor
    Simplicity 7112 Landlord

Default Since I cant buy what I want new, I will build one. Allis Chalmers B1 diesel project

As the OEM's seem only fit to put diesels in the larger machines, both to large and to expensive for my needs, I decided to build my own smaller diesel powered GT. Starting point was an old AC B1 garden tractor, able to rototill my garden, plow snow and mow my small yard with its 32" tri blade mower deck. Its the perfect size but suffers from an old design B&S engine that has little to no parts support anymore, espicaly for daily use. I had a chance to pick up an English built Petter 6.6hp air cooled diesel engine really cheap as it wasnt running. I contacted a friend in the UK, where these engines are "dime a dozen" so to speak, and he hooked me up with the needed parts and conversion supplies. This engine was originaly used on one of those flashing arrow trailers on a road construction zone years ago prior to the solar powered ones common now. So it was set up for fixed (2200) rpm driving an alternator to charge batteries. I got a factory variable speed conversion kit, as well as an engine mounted fuel tank, new injector, new injector pump, factory decals and a few other bits. I got the engine mounted in the frame, shortened the drive shaft and installed the new shaft connection. Repainted the engine's tin work and installed new decals. The injector finaly arrived today and I got the old engine awoke from years of slumber. Still need to adjust the injection timing to get the full 3600 rpm for mowing duty but she is running good. Next up is a small alternator to charge the battery, winter intake preheater and some kind of frame work to support the original hood and a new grill set up. Not sure I will keep the exhaust stuck out like it is, once the hood is bolted in place, I will have access hatches to get to the fuel fill and I may run the exhaust up thru the hood. Like a farm tractor, there really is no need to remove the hood if I can refuel without doing that. Enjoy the pics and feel free to ask any questions. Mike

Small engine mechanic
    Yanmar GT14

Tractor
    John Deere '41 B

Default Re: Since I cant buy what I want new, I will build one. Allis Chalmers B1 diesel pro

That is a great project.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2500, Oliver Super55

Default Re: Since I cant buy what I want new, I will build one. Allis Chalmers B1 diesel pro

nice work. All it needs is a rear pto and 3 point or a 2point snap connect if you want to stay vintage allis.

Tractor
    Simplicity 7112 Landlord

I have the rear lift on it for my tiller. I do need the lower sleeve hitch part so I can put the moldboard on the rear to turn my garden. Mike
    Small engine mechanic
    Yanmar GT14

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Thanks for posting.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF 230 and Mitsubishi D2000

Wow, nice tractor you've built there.

Ken
    Massey Ferguson 230
    Mitsubishi D2000

Tractor
    Simplicity 7112 Landlord

I did a little grass cutting today after playing around with the injection timing. Does pretty good, but that original mufler wasnt much of a muffler, so I swapped it for the muffler ment for a Kohler on a Gravely, much quieter, espicaly under a load, need to get a chrome "J" trap pipe at Lowe's to make a topper pipe for the muffler. After a certain rpm, she starts cutting out, not sure if its overspeeding or what. But if I listen to the mower deck rpm noise, it sounds about right when running near the max rpm that it will run smoothly. The smell and sounds are priceless! Gotta love a diesel!
    Small engine mechanic
    Yanmar GT14

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

6Hp is pushing the mower around okay along with spinning the blades? Will it pull enough air around the cylinder to keep it cool when it is hot out? I think that is just the coolest looking machine. Nice work!
    1st Peter 1:6-9