Legacy Oil Leak

/ Legacy Oil Leak #1  

newbie1

Tractor
simplicity legacy
Hi,

I recently bought a Simplicity Legacy with a 20 hp liquid cool Kawasaki engine. It has about 600 hours and runs great. When I inspected it before buying there were no signs of any oil or hydraulic leaks anywhere. I had it parked in the garage for about two weeks with no sign of even a drop of fluid on the floor. I changed the oil & filter last weekend and everything seemed fine and I moved it out to a carport type cover in the woods behind the house. I moved it back into the garage yesterday to put a set of plugs in it. In the 15 minutes it was there there was a puddle of oil about 6 inches long and 3-4 wide and the dipstick showed it was about 1/2 quart low.

I checked the filter first but that wasn't leaking. Looking under it the oil seems to be coming from the back of the motor on the left side, opposite side from the filter.

Has anyone anyone had a similar problem or any ideas what could be leaking?

Thanks
Bob

/ Legacy Oil Leak #2  
Wow, bummer...all I can suggest would be a power wash of the engine, then careful observation. Any chance you spilled some while filling and it is just now making its way to the ground?

:welcome:

/ Legacy Oil Leak
Thanks for getting back to me.

I did clean it up as best I could to look for the source. But the back of the motor is almost impossible to see, it's so close to the radiator and cowl. I don't think I could have spilled that much, if any. I thinking there might be some gasket or seal leaking but I can't figure out why it would start just by changing the oil & filter. Another of life's many mysteries I guess, at least for now.