Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase #1  

Vic_N

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4044R
I've finally decided to get rid of the JD lawn tractor and get something with some zip to mow my 3 acres of lawn. I'm interested in the Citation 61" but I'm a novice about ZTs. The dealer's got a new 2012 on the showroom floor and said he'd give it to me for $6800...is that in the range of a fair price? I just want to know if it's reasonable; I'm not looking for the lowest price out there. I also wondered whether it makes sense to buy the 2012 model or get a 2013...does it make any difference? Thanks.
Vic

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase #2  
not sure on the price on z t mowers. but for the year wise . just like a car should be discounted as last years hold over.check on the warrantys too. when they start and end. have they made any changes between the two yrs. any upgrades. I swear by simplicity for mowing and tilling . but I put the same pressure on all brands .even those I prefer.7 grand is a lot of money . I would want it backed in every way. just my thought.

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase #3  
I have an older citation and a champion. I wouldn't worry at all about it being last years model. You will love the difference in mowing. I have the mulch kit on both and IMO it is a big plus. I see the 2013 models do not include the light kit. The price isn't too bad...is that out the door? If you are interested maybe you could make it out the door or include the light and or mulch kit for the price. Simplicity has some ok financing offers. Does he have any other models on the floor?

Do you specifically want the 61" deck? The reason I ask is that they use the same engine for both the 52" (the 52" also has optional kawasaki engine which is what I like) and 61" deck, and depending on your mowing conditions, I would do a little more research on that as the top of the line cobalt has 61" deck but with bigger engines to turn it.
Just my opinion on all of this but no matter what you wind up with you will really enjoy the zero turn.

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase
MMTD,

Thanks for the advice and especially your comment on the start and end for the warranty; I hadn't thought of that.

not sure on the price on z t mowers. but for the year wise . just like a car should be discounted as last years hold over.check on the warrantys too. when they start and end. have they made any changes between the two yrs. any upgrades. I swear by simplicity for mowing and tilling . but I put the same pressure on all brands .even those I prefer.7 grand is a lot of money . I would want it backed in every way. just my thought.

Last edited:
Tompet,

I was wondering about the mulch kit. I have one on my JD lawn tractor. It sure does make the lawn look better. I have a Mojack Pro so I clean the deck after every cutting. How do you keep the Citation's deck clean with the mulch kit?

So I get headlights with the 2012 but not with a new one? That's interesting.

He has other models but I think I'm hooked on the Citation.

The main reason I'm buying the ZT is to cut my lawn time in half. I'm getting old and I just cannot stand it any more. I like having the lawn but I just don't enjoy spending 3 hours on it every 5 or 6 days. I live in upstate NY and the lawn here grows so fast I can't believe it sometimes. I just assumed a 61" would be better than a 52" to get the job done. I guess I'd get the lawn done lots faster with a 52" zt vs. my JD 54". Most of my lawn is flat but I do have some hills and valleys. Is the 61" too big for some areas in your opinion. I've heard others express their fondness for the kawasaki engine. I've owned a lot of B&S engines over the years and, so far, I haven't had a problem. Is the kawasake supposed to be a bit more reliable. I don't want to spend what it would take to own the cobalt, although when I saw it in the showroom I could feel the magnetic pull towards it!

Thanks for your help.

P.S. - Thanks for your negotiating advice!

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase #6  
Too many people think of mowers and tractors as cars. This industry is different. Years don't matter only when there is a model change. Most tractors and mowers run a 5-7 yr. model life w/ little or no changes.
As long as the machine is new and never sold it will have new or current warranty and current financing.
Sometimes companies will put rebates or incentives on older product but sometimes not. If they don't then anything the dealer comes off is out of his pocket so it isn't assumed that because it is a year old he should discount it.
One thing buyers dont understand that for lawn mower financing, the finance companies charge the dealer 2-3%
of the amount financed so there is part of a "discount" there. Some may deliver for free, some may "throw in" something. So there are your discounts.

This time of year all dealers have 2012 models carried over. On the Citation, the '12 is a better model than the '13
models as they combined the ZT4000 and Citation to form the XL I believe. Lights are standard on the '12 which aren't on the '13.

I would buy the 12 and his price is fair. There are currently no company incentives on the Citation that I know of. I am a Simplicity dealer, that's how I know all of this.

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase #7  
I have the Briggs on my Citation and I've had no problems. If I was buying a new one I would spring for the Kawasaki engine. But the briggs on the Citation is fine. The Cobalt might look good on your yard! The larger tires, speed, torque, height adj. etc. are nicer on the Citation so I agree with you on that.

To be honest I don't clean the deck all the time. I either jack the front end or drive on a little slope and usually reach under with a broad nail puller with a 90 degree bend or some other tool and give it a quick scrape down. After initially using the z turn without the mulch kit I didn't like the trail of grass left behind or being covered in dust and grass as it does blow out the clippings. The mulch kit took care of all of that. If money was no object I think I would look at a front mount z turn like a Grasshopper etc. with front mount lift up deck. Would make maintenance a breeze. I do like my Simplicity dealer and try to support him as much as possible with service and other purchases like the Echo products he carries.

I would be interested in engine29's feedback on the 61" vs 52" deck on the Citation with the same engines. The engine on these Citations are a little larger than what came with mine at the time, so that may be the difference. I assume the torque put out by the newer model Citation's would run the 61" without bogging down. That would be my concern with the 61" deck and the heavy grass as you describe. One thing with the z and mulch kit is to keep up with the mowing. "Hogging" of the lawn not recommended. Or if it gets away from me I just mow the tall areas twice taking a little off each time. But that is doesn't happen too often.

engine29, Would the Kawasaki engine have more torque than the Briggs? All of the other info you gave seemed spot on as it should considering your background. I did't mean incentive on the Citation, I meant financing options from Simplicity.

Vic, Your statements on why you want the z turn...I couldn't agree with more. Sounds same as my situation and yard. The Z cut my time by more than half and other than a ditch, eliminated all push mowing for trimming, just a weed whip.

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase #8  
One other thing is the mid mount zero turns won't have the traction like your JD. That is one advantage the front mount deck zero turns have over the mid mount z's. So when it's wet or in spring you have to be a little careful. I just read you have some hills and valleys so I thought I would pass on a couple thoughts. Having said that, in no way would that deter me from a Z!

/ Simplicity Citation 61...Two Questions About Purchase #9  
you are a dealer of the equipment I grew up on. first was garden mark sold by Montgomery ward. second was a 6218. I currently own a 1991 sun star 20 gth. I wonder if you can come across a 3 point and a 540pto from dash switch back for me ? I have several feelers out but nothing yet. mfg#1691953 on it. you see that first tractor my dad owned . I bought this one . I am doing a complete restore on it. wheels up. I lost dad oct /22/2012. his name will go on both sides of the hood. he to loved his simplicitys . he was 83. so you see how far back simplicity has been in my family. also others can see how they last and stand strong!thank you for your clarifiction

Engine29,

I understand your comments about financing. Fortunately, I won't need to finance. Having run a business, I also know that everything a dealer throws in is lost profit. I never ask anyone to throw in anything when I know a price is reasonable. I want the dealer to make a profit so he can continue to stay in business and provide me with service and supply me with parts.

Thank you for your feedback on the price and incentives. Looks like I'm going to be a proud owner of a new Citation.

Vic