Simplicity Champion Zero Turn with Kohler engine.

/ Simplicity Champion Zero Turn with Kohler engine. #1  

melvinhatcher

Bronze Member
Tractor
1948 John Deere M and 2016 Kubota L3301
I have a Simplicity Champion Zero turn with a 18 hp. Kohler that is a no start. I have rebuilt the starter, replaced the solenoid but the starter will not turn over.
As of now, I do not have 12v. to the starter. Does anyone have a starter/switch circuit diagram, so I can trouble shoot the starter circuit?:confused2:

/ Simplicity Champion Zero Turn with Kohler engine. #2  
Good chance you might have a safety switch issue.

/ Simplicity Champion Zero Turn with Kohler engine. #4  
Safety switches typically prevent the unit from starting if the seat is unoccupied, the PTO knob is pulled up or if the levers are not pushed all the way out. If your mower has a park brake, there may be a switch on that as well. I don't have a diagram or locations, but i would think the switches open (infinite resistance) to prevent starting.

Good luck

/ Simplicity Champion Zero Turn with Kohler engine.
   / Simplicity Champion Zero Turn with Kohler engine. #6  
Kohler Engines: Owners and Service Manuals: Manuals and Maintenance

Select the 18 HP vertical.

Go to page 8.14

If nothing else, touch 12 v to the starter terminal.

Do you have the large red wire connected?

If so, there is another terminal probably a small red wire.

Put 12 v to the small terminal, the solenoid will activate and throw the Bendix into the starter flywheel.

Safety switches typically prevent the unit from starting if the seat is unoccupied, the PTO knob is pulled up or if the levers are not pushed all the way out. If your mower has a park brake, there may be a switch on that as well. I don't have a diagram or locations, but i would think the switches open (infinite resistance) to prevent starting.

Good luck
Ok men, I checked all the safety switches and they were ok, except the park brake, and the brake was not applied. <sigh> what a dumb ***!
At any rate, I am still at a no start. The engine will crank via the starter, but will not run, remove air cleaner pour a little gas down carb, she fires right up and die.
Check carb no gas coming to carb. Remove fuel line at fuel pump, no gas, check fuel filter, fuel filter is dry remove and blow air thru it and it is clear. I blow thru line to tank and I can hear air just like the tank is empty but, it is full try sucking on line and fuel is not coming out, only gurgles, apply air pressure to tank and only a squirt will pulse out. I think something is wrong with the pickup in the tank. Ideas please, and can the tank pickup be replaced?

/ Simplicity Champion Zero Turn with Kohler engine. #8  
Try with cap off, first, may be simple fix to clear vent line. Tank suction may have strainer clogged. Long odds, but some fuel lines are made of plastic which do not live long with ethanol blended fuels, lines get internal restrictions that can limit flow. Not uncommon with chainsaws but I would think your fuel line should be big enough to not be badly affected. Good luck and Please let us know what you find.

Try with cap off, first, may be simple fix to clear vent line. Tank suction may have strainer clogged. Long odds, but some fuel lines are made of plastic which do not live long with ethanol blended fuels, lines get internal restrictions that can limit flow. Not uncommon with chainsaws but I would think your fuel line should be big enough to not be badly affected. Good luck and Please let us know what you find.
I blew back through the line into the tank, and I can hear air bubbling near the top of the tank. After looking at this diagram, I think I can fix this problem after I drain the tank.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=...0,+26HP+Zero-Turn+Rider+w/+50"+Mower&dn=16455

Last edited:
Good afternoon Avondale, I confirmed that the pickup tube had rotted away from the Elbow fitting. :mad: After removing the Grommet and Elbow fitting from the gas tank the pickup tube has rotted away from the fitting and fell to the bottom of the tank.
I have a new pickup on order at Jack's Small Engine. It should be in by the weekend. It is to be hoped that I will have er running by the weekend.:dance1: