Low Voltage Light Came On

/ Low Voltage Light Came On #1  

JD5210

Veteran Member
Tractor
5210 MFWD
Simplicity Prestige Kohler CV23S

I had been using the tractor for a half hour, when I went to turn it off the low voltage light was on and electric (not sure if the whole worded was spelled out) was displayed in the instrument panel window. I turned the tractor off and was unable to restart it (starter did not turn over). I went to the house and got my volt meter, when I got back, the tractor started up. Most likely the problem still exists any suggestions what I should check/replace.

The battery is less than 1 year and since the tractor started right backup I do not think the battery is the problem. Would a going bad voltage regulator act this way?

How would I test the voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Low Voltage Light Came On #2  
What was the battery voltage?

What is the battery voltage with the engine running?

/ Low Voltage Light Came On
Thanks for the response. The battery voltage was 11.9 with the engine off and 13 with the engine on at full throttle.

/ Low Voltage Light Came On #4  
Thanks for the response. The battery voltage was 11.9 with the engine off and 13 with the engine on at full throttle.

Your voltage regulator was working at 13 volts, but may cut out during use.

11.9 volts is considered a dead battery. Check the electrolyte level and add enough distilled water to cover the plates. Put it on a charger for about 14 hours, then add distilled water up to the split ring indicator.

Remove the negative cable first, and clean both ends of both cables. Positive goes on first, negative on last.

Went back out last night set the meter, so it can read 2 places after the decimal point and with the tractor off the battery reads 11.98. The battery is sealed. The tractor does start right up. I did go ahead clean up the terminals and remove the battery and put it on the charger. I will keep checking the voltage for a few days and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

/ Low Voltage Light Came On #6  
If its lead acid its really not seal sealed.

Just seems to be

/ Low Voltage Light Came On #7  
If it is an AGM battery, Keep the charging voltage under 15 volts and disconnect the charger if the battery case feels very warm.

/ Low Voltage Light Came On #8  
Some very advise IMO about what it could be given in previous posts. Not familiar w/that model mower but can tell you beware if it has an electric pto and running on weak battery. You can damage small circuit board,fuses, etc when attempting to activate electric pto , you'll know pto wil not engage or turn off quick on its own.

Boone

An update, as suggested I charged up the battery 3 days ago, the battery has held a charge of 13.1 and when running the tractor, the charge is 14.2. I went over the tractor wiring and did find the ground strap of the voltage/regulator was loose.

I will keep an eye on the charge.

Thanks to all the provided me with help on this.