Briggs and Stratton Diesel

/ Briggs and Stratton Diesel #1  

JustinE

Bronze Member
I have been looking for a small tractor to handle light jobs around the yard, such as hauling mulch. I discovered the Legacy XL but have some questions about the Briggs and Stratton diesel. Simplicity said it was a Briggs and Stratton, not a Vanguard. I'm stumped, because I didn't know Briggs made a diesel. I also cannot find anything on it. Does anybody know anything about these Briggs made diesels?

/ Briggs and Stratton Diesel #2  
The briggs diesels where in cooperation with diahatsu(sp?) I think they were going to stop making them due to having problems meeting emission standards. The same company they cooped with for the Big Block vanguards. I believe they made or make 2 and 3 cylinder liquid cooled engines.

/ Briggs and Stratton Diesel
Thank you! I wonder who Briggs will side with next for a diesel engine or if they're getting out of that market.

/ Briggs and Stratton Diesel #4  
I heard they were getting out because the current Briggs diesels don't meet tier 4. Kohler purchased Lombardini diesel a few years ago, and there new diesels are common rail 29,000 psi injection tier 4 non DEF engines.

/ Briggs and Stratton Diesel #5  
I have an eXmark with a Briggs-Stratton diesel it's a 3 cylinder and also has Dihatsu marking on it. It is 31 or 32 Horsepower depending what manul you use. It's a perfect engine except the fuel filter is only available from Briggs and it is $$$ 54.00.

/ Briggs and Stratton Diesel #6  
Rumor is that the new Legacy XL will have Yanmar power under the hood. All of the Vanguard series were designed by Dihatsu in Japan, one reason its such a much better engine platform over the Intek series engines. I have also seen that Briggs diesel in Exmark ZTRs that have come in to our dealership for service. Never seen any problems with them to really speak of. The new Tier 4 will hit many diesel builders hard.

/ Briggs and Stratton Diesel #7  
I have a 24.5 hp on a Massey 2924 they were also offered on simplicity legacys