briggs diesel

/ briggs diesel #1  

dshimmel

Tractor
massey
I recently purchased a Massey Ferguson 2924, I was looking at simplicity and was told this was the same tractor. Is that correct? It's a 24.5 hp Briggs diesel 2wd 60" deck

I used it twice no problems plenty of power great cut super pleased...... Then I was mowing for 15 mins it started sputtering like it wasn't getting gas. I live on a hill, it doesn't seem to matter what side I'm mowing on, or even whether it's on even ground. One it starts you have to cut off the pto to even keep it running and regardless of the throttle position it barely runs and the rpms go to zero. Then all of the sudden it surges a couple of time and a few minutes later everything comes back but it last for a few minutes. This has happen 3 times now after about 15 mins. I have tried to push the diesel primer on top of the filter when it happens but its very hard , so I assume that there is pressure there. I've been thinking of changing the fuel filter but when I took it off I was surprised it was a cartridge, but it did look white. Any sugguestions

/ briggs diesel #2  
If you haven't already, change the fuel filter, so you know where you're at.

If the fuel level is low enough, try running with the fill cap loose or removed - to check for a tank venting problem - or just crack the cap open, when the engine stumbles.

Check the tank with a good flashlight - look for sediment/dirt in the bottom that could block a sediment screen on the bottom of the tank.

Does sound like fuel, but check the air filter.... as that's about the only other way to stop a diesel.

Rgds, D.

/ briggs diesel
Ok I'll have to go to my local massey/simplicity dealer and get the filter. That a good idea on venting I'll let u know if that has any effect. Air filter is ok I already checked that. I'll check the tank with light tomorrow. Thanks for the help

/ briggs diesel #4  
You're welcome D.

Let me know how it goes..... interesting..... before reading your post, I didn't realize Briggs had made diesels.

Rgds, D.

/ briggs diesel
I put some new fuel in it. Haven't had a problem yet but I'll keep you updated.

/ briggs diesel
That darn fuel filter is 68 dollars. Thanks Briggs!

/ briggs diesel #7  
Ouch - that sounds like Canadian pricing !

If you didn't this time, try Wix, Fleeguard..... for pricing next time too. The important thing is you now know where you are starting from, with a fresh filter :thumbsup:. I like to always have a spare fuel filter on hand, just in case I get into bad fuel issues someday.

Not sure what's on your tractor (I'm used to the old school big glass water separators)..... so it might have been hard to notice water in the original filter (?).

Even with a new-looking old filter, if there is enough water present, it might have starved the engine of fuel, after a short run...... just a guess.....

If it's bad enough, you can see water in the tank sometimes. Some people have strange fuelling ideas.... a buddy bought a place last year, part of the deal included a relatively new JD gas lawn tractor. He noticed this Spring that the gas tank on the JD had lots of junk in the bottom..... not a big surprise, as the gas cans the previous owner left in the garage had no caps, he just left the nozzles screwed on all the time, open to whatever....

Used equipment usually needs some TLC, some more than others.... get past that, and enjoy your diesel !

Rgds, D.

/ briggs diesel
So itappears for now the problem is resolved. I put a little diesel clean in the tank and I took the gas cap off and slammed it off the black top. Hasn't happened again yet. Keeping finger crossed and knocking on wood.

/ briggs diesel #9  
Between a new filter, and "tuning" the fuel cap, here's hoping you've got it :thumbsup:

Re. your original question - post some pics of your machine - always a hit on TBN, and somebody may comment about Simplicity, from the pictures....

Enjoy the new machine !

Rgds, D.

/ briggs diesel
yeah still going strong ill get pics up soon