Simplicity Broadmoor 22-44 Review

/ Simplicity Broadmoor 22-44 Review #1  

tracmax

Tractor
Toro HMR 1600 44-in
I have about 25 hours on the Simplicity Broadmoor 44-22 lawn tractor purchased last July. So, I guess it's time to write a review. Note: I am neither a tractor expert nor a whiz-bang mechanic. I purchased this machine from Mutton Power Equipment. It arrived on time and in good shape in an aluminum shipping holder attached to a wooden pallet. It was already lubricated, filled with break-in oil, and the deck was leveled. After uncrating the mower, charging the battery, and filling it with gasoline, it started right up.

P1020099.jpg P1020101.jpg P1020104.jpg P1020105.jpg

Why I Bought It

First was reputation, and the second was features for the price. Though more expensive than many other brands, Simplicity owners seem fanatical about their machines. I have a one-acre lawn with some steep hills and a few obstacles which I mow 40+ times per year. I wanted or preferred:

• minimum 42-inch cutting width or a maximum 48-inch,
  • 3 blades (rather than two) for more even cutting,
  • fairly tight turning radius,
  • stamped deck (for better air flow),
  • more rugged transmission (K57AF) than the Tuff Torq K56 found on many lawn tractors.
The Broadmoor series does not offer a manual locking differential that I wanted, but I did get everything else.

Compromises

I live in Omaha, NE and am still surprised there are no Simplicity dealers within our 900,000 population metro area. The nearest dealer is some 60 miles away in Red Oak, IA. The Broadmoor series has what it calls "Automatic Controlled Traction". It works kind of if you are going straight up a hill. However, turn the wheels right or left, and it doesn't really work at all.

Pleasant Surprises

Love the oil draining system; it's convenient and not at all messy. The power height control is kind of nice, though not a necessity for me. Reverse mowing is especially easy: Engage the reverse lever while the blades are engaged, and you can continue to mow in reverse over and over until the blades are disengaged. The hand grips on each side of the seat are great for hanging on to shift weight when mowing on a side hill. (Yeah, I know. But I could have a heart attack at my age using a hand mower on those slopes dangerous either way.) The mesh seat back is a good idea. The deck is easy to detach and reattach, except that the left belt guard must be removed to remove the belt from the deck pulley. (An extra one-half of clearance between the belt guard and the pulley would have avoided that nuisance.) The cut is great. While I have just put on new Gator blades, the factory blades produce plenty of suction. Didn't think I would ever stripe my yard; but the rollers are there, and it does look nice that way. The Briggs & Stratton 22 hp engine does just fine on my hilly lawn.

P1020355.JPG P1020358.JPG

Less Pleasant

Apparently Simplicity (or its owner, Briggs & Stratton) doesn't believe owners should grease their own equipment. There are no lubrication instructions - only a note that we should take our machine to an authorized dealer once per year - had to go on line to get a parts list to find the grease fitting locations. The washout port on the deck doesn't seem to do much good. Next year, I'm going to use it every time I mow and compare it to not using it this year. The Automatic Controlled Traction is okay on wet grass going straight up a hill. It is better than nothing, but don't expect too much. While optional front and rear weights are available, there is no obvious way to add wheel weights which I could sure use.

P1020357.JPG