Early Sunstar mower deck issue

/ Early Sunstar mower deck issue #1  

D3G

Tractor
Simplicity Sunstar 20
Hello, new to the forum here and hoping for some help. I have a very early 20HP Sunstar tractor with a #1690984, 60" mowing deck that has developed a belt tension issue. I have had this tractor and deck for about 6 years and love it! My son calls it "the little tractor that could". Last time I mowed the belt became so loose that the blades stopped spinning. I took the deck off, inspected everything, and suspected that the belt had just gotten old and stretched out. 2 new belts later I am still not able to get a fit tight enough to spin the blades. The tension pulley and spring seem fine, as are the blade pulleys and bearings... no noises at all. I am stumped. Can anyone out there offer a suggestion what to check next? Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
   / Early Sunstar mower deck issue #2  
Pull the spring off and remove that pulley and inspect it.That's the only thing that keeps that belt tight and it has to pivot freely to work right.

/ Early Sunstar mower deck issue
I pulled the spring off and the pulley spins freely. However, there was some play in the lever mount. Upon further inspection I discovered the bushings are egged-out a little bit... not sure if that allows enough extra play to make the belt as loose as it is, but at least it gives me a place to start. Are those pressed in bushings?

/ Early Sunstar mower deck issue #5  
I pulled the spring off and the pulley spins freely. However, there was some play in the lever mount. Upon further inspection I discovered the bushings are egged-out a little bit... not sure if that allows enough extra play to make the belt as loose as it is, but at least it gives me a place to start. Are those pressed in bushings?

Don't think the bushing is pressed in,probably just stuck.I would replace the bushings and the spacer and the center bolt.Also check the lever bracket for wear in the center hole and check for straightness-sometimes they get bent,causing misalignment of the pullies and belt.Check the deck metal where this mounts and make sure it's not warped.

Last edited: