How about the Simplicity Legacy XL?

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #1  

Cecil

Tractor
none yet
I was looking at the Legacy XL the other day and it looks pretty good.

I'm in the market for a subcompact, I looked at the Legacy XL, the Kubota BX2230 and have glossy-ware on the JD 2210 (just sold the one he had, and the New Holland dealer does not have anything on their TZ series yet). These are my 4 options within a 1 hour drive.

The Legacy XL is the largest of the bunch, coming in at 27hp and 58.5 inch wheel base. The Kubota is smallest with a 55 inch wheel base. JD is in between.

Does anyone here own a Legacy XL? Is it too big to truely be a subcompact? What do you like or dislike about it?

Thanks,

Cecil

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #2  
I've looked at the Legacy XL too. It's definitely a subcompact. Simplicity is known for making some of the highest quality lawn & garden equipment around, there's no reason not to think that their first foray into the subcompact market wouldn't be just as well-built.

One thought... from time to time various people on this forum have commented that the sub's are over-powered, they're too light to get 20+ hp to the ground, but the manufacturer's put those engines in them for marketing reasons. If that's true then the Legacy XL is grossly over-powered. At 1131#, its over a hundred pounds lighter than the Kubota 2230, the JD 2210, or the Massy 2300, but it has more hp than any of them (27).

One other thing.. Its my understanding that if you want a backhoe on a kubota BX or a Massey GC, you have to buy the TLB, so you either get the BH when you buy the tractor, or live without it. You could add the BH to the Legacy at a later date, if you wanted. It would cost more to do it that way, no doubt, but you could.

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL?
Yes, I'm aware of the reputation of Simplicity which is why I looked at the Legacy XL. The fact that it's the lightest of any I've look at so far concerns me, but I do like the features. I realize it's a new model, but I'd like to hear from an owner.

Cecil

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You could add the BH to the Legacy at a later date, if you wanted. )</font>

Weight is a big factor on backhoes. The legavy sounds nice, but might not make a good tlb, IMHO...++Doesn't mean it isn't great at what its cut out to do...

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #5  
FIRST : WELCOME TO THE FORUM.. i don't know anything about the simplictiy sub compacts. just seems like a lot of hp for a sub. guess i will try and check them out. let us know what u decide.

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #6  
Cecil,

Welcom aboard /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have never owned a Simplicity, but I did some research on them a few years ago when I was thinking of getting one.

The people I talked to really liked them and only had good things to say about them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #7  
I think that part of the reason the Legacy XL is so light is that it only has a 3/16 inch thick frame. The BX has a 3/8 inch frame. For that reason I would pick the BX.

I have not looked at the Legacy for more than a year (before the new 4WD model). What I didn't like about the Legacy was the cat 0 TPH. The attachments were VERY expensive and not a very large selection. Maybe the XL has a cat 1.

John

John

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #8  
I did a little looking, and I think there are too many good choices out there to be including this machine. First, there is the lightness. then there is the engines. They may be fine, but compared to the bullet proof, kubota, yanmar, etc?
380346-2004_160_legacyxl.jpg

But no ROPS? on a loader equipped tractor? No thanks.

Attachments

• 380346-2004_160_legacyxl.jpg
    380346-2004_160_legacyxl.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,046
   / How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #9  
Cecil,
I have not seen the Legacy XL in person. I did look long and hard at the simplicity line when I brought my Toro lawn mower. Simplicity has a well earned good rep in that market.

When I brought my BX2200 I looked at the JD2210, 4010, the BX, the MF2230 and the Cub5000 series. These all were designed from the ground up to be much more than a lawn tractor - hence the "sub compact" name.

It appears to me after looking at the Legacy XL specs that this is a lawnmower being bumped up to the sub compact level.

Also the high horsepower is a marketing tool leftover from the lawnmower folks. Just go to Sears or HD. Do you really need 20 -25 hp to run a 48" deck just to cut grass? I feel it is the Tim the Toolman effect. I don't doubt that the 18HP JD4010 could pull the 25HP garden tractors at Sears and HD backwards.

Phil

/ How about the Simplicity Legacy XL? #10  
oooooooo , another candidat, there IS a Simplicity dealer around here. thanks for mentioning this. about the only things available to my area is JD or Kubota, all 30 miles away