Are Simplicity tractors worthy?

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #1  

Mr_Teci

I have been a fan of simplicity mowers for years, so when I started looking into CUTs, I naturally included the Simplicity Legacy XL in my initial research. I was surprised to not find any discussions about this tractor. Is there any reason that I should omit this tractor from my research?

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #2  
Our late 60's Simplicity's 6HP engine died after 29 years. Every year we had to change the oil. I put a new engine in it and it still runs great. Simplicity lawn tractors give a very, very nice cut to a lawn and I would recommend them as lawn mowers.

As for the capabilities of their larger models, I do not know. What you need to do (in my humble opinion, of course) is come up with a list of tasks that you want to do with a tractor and the amount of time that you want to take doing those tasks. Then, come up with an amount of money that you are willing to spend. Next, come up with a list of tractors that will meet those requirements. Finally, you may have to adjust the tractor choices, time and/or the money to meet your goals. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I found it helpful to make a spreadsheet to keep track of all the stats for each tractor that I looked at. PTO HP, tractor weight, mower sizes, FEL capacities such as lift height, weight, etc... you get the idea. Really take your time and test drive as many makes and models as you can to see which suits you best. Also, don't forget the dealer factor. A bad dealer can make a good tractor awful while a good dealer can make a good tractor exceptional. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck in your search.

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #3  
Hi,

The Legacy XL does not get much attention here for probably several reasons. I would guess a lot of it is because the XL has only been out for about 2 years after a major redesign of their previous biggest tractor (the Legacy). I bought one. Mainly considered it because I have experience with the brand/dealer, and it's made in the USA. Search this forum for Legacy XL and you'll get a few reviews and some veiled bashing from people who've never used one. Whether you end up with one is another thing, but you should include it in any subcompact search.

Check out some pics I posted in the past. Attached here is the machine in the midst of moving 30 yards of wet dirt last weekend. Exceeded my expectations, and very comfortable to boot. Took about two hours of me moving the dirt while my friend used a Farmall Cub to spread.

From reading here you'd think that the only subcut's worth considering are John Deere, Massey and Kubota. Extremely well made machines to be sure, but there are other choices.

BTW, I have the 27hp diesel 4wd w/ 3-pt hitch, 60" deck, and FEL.

Attachments

• 758405-DCP_2385a.jpg
    758405-DCP_2385a.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3,925
   / Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #4  
While I have never owned a Simplicity personaly I can say I had an uncle who owned several. He wasn't much on taking care of them but they always held up well. I have to say they do a real nice job of mowing, probably better then my Deere. I think they are very worthy. The last one he bought in 98 and he passed away a couple of years later. My neighbor bought it at his estate auction and it is still running very well. I spoke with him the other day and he loves it. I would not be afraid of buying one if that is what you like.

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #5  
I think you will find that the simplicity is half the tractor at a higher price - thats why they are not nearly as popular.

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1*when I started looking into CUTs, I naturally included the Simplicity Legacy XL in my initial research.
2*Is there any reason that I should omit this tractor from my research?
3* I was surprised to not find any discussions about this tractor.
)</font>
1*The Simplicity definitely isn't a CUT.
2*If you're wanting a garden tractor include it.
If not don't include it.
3*There are only 2 members on the board who own one; so naturally there isn't much discussion about it. When I bought my BX23 the Simplicity was 5 or 6 thousand more than I paid for the BX23.
On every price comparison I've made between a Simplicity and a Kubota the Simplicity always priced out more then the Kubota.
Here's my 3 latest comparisons:
Simplicity Legacy XL $10168 Kubota BX2230 $8100
Simplicity Prestage $6200 Kubota BX 1500 $5700
Simplicity Prestage with tiller and front blade $8478 Kubota BX1500 with tiller and front blade $8500.
This is a shame as I like the Simplicities, but I will not pay more than a Kabota for one.

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #7  
<font color="blue">but there are other choices.
============== </font>

Not for me so long as the Simplicity is going to cost me more than a John Deere, Massey or Kubota.
I'm not bashing Simplicity it's just that I'm turned off by their pricing.
Very Good tractors but real bad pricing.

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think you will find that the simplicity is half the tractor at a higher price - thats why they are not nearly as popular. )</font>
=========
Even if they were 95 to 100 percent as much tractor as the Massy JD or Kubota pricing them at hundreds to thousands more than those tractors is no way to win the popularity contest.

With their pricing structure it's no wonder Massy JD and Kubota all 3 are out selling them.

When I priced the legacy XL I expected it to come in around 3000 less than the BX23. When I was quoted 21500 for the Simplicity Kubota won the sale at 15500.
It was no contest between Kubota and Simplicity.

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think you will find that the simplicity is half the tractor at a higher price - thats why they are not nearly as popular. )</font>

As a loyal Simplicity fan, I'll only make three comments so I don't appear too defensive:

1. If someone made such a blanket, unsubstantiated, negative post about Kubota, or Cub, or NH -- i.e. one of the brands you sell, you'd likely be all over them like a duck on a June bug... FWIW, you've just lost all credibility with me...

2. Simplicity doesn't market the Legacy XL directly against the sub-CUTs (and it certainly isn't a CUT), because it is not primarily such a tractor -- if you think of tractor as either an agricultural or construction machine (i.e. in the line of Kubota or John Deere). However, they market it to property owners who have 2+ acres and their primary use will be mowing a lawn -- but there are needs for other attachments such as snowblowers, etc. In that market, they have, IMO the absolute best product. The Legacy will give a cut that leaves your lawn looking better than a JD or a Kubota -- the only competition there is commercial grade ZTRs. (The new, smaller Kubota 4WD lawn.garden tractors are nice, but they cannot handle the 3-PT attachments at all. The BX series are versatile, but do not mow as well.)

3. Simplicity virtually "invented" that market niche with the Model 4040 in 1973 (before the first Kubota 4WD CUT -- a B6000 -- was even imported). Though the IH Cub Lowboy tried to hit this niche, it's cut wasn't all that great, and it's versatility was limited. Simplicity has been marketing machines in this niche ever since that will give an absolutely commercial-quality cut with a large 60" belly mower, yet will run Cat 0 or limited Cat 1 implements. The Legacy XL is the latest in that lineup, and is 4WD to make it even more versatile. (BTW, it's also the only machine of it's size that you can add a removeable backhoe to later...)

Kubota and John Deere came at the CUT and SCUT market from the agricultural side, and their machines are probably still more capable with ground engaging implements, FELs and such -- though the Simplicity FEL is easier to remove. So, if you want to primarily play in the dirt, you may want to buy something other than a Simplicity. But, if you want your lawn to look better than anyone else's in the neighborhood, IMO, buy the Simplicity....

/ Are Simplicity tractors worthy? #10  
It's funny. Look at the bashing again. 1/2 the tractor? What exactly does that mean? That the bx23's FEL rated at 460lbs is better when it lifts less than the xl's 500 lb loader? Or that it doesn't lift as high? Or that it's engine really puts out more power? Maybe you get more dirt in a scoop than I do when I move dirt. Or maybe your 60" deck mows wider than my 60" deck. Who knows - maybe your 4wd system is spinning a fifth wheel somewhere. Maybe the laser-etched brush guard makes it a better tractor. Sheesh.

The XL is very similar to the other in terms of size, weight, features, FEL capacity, and operator features such as 2-pedal HST, 4wd shift on fly, power steering,etc. Anytime it's been asked what exactly makes you get answers like "it just is" or "it's good but it costs too much". The XL specs better in some areas, worse in others.

Even this forum is biased. They say brand-specific so they move it to lawn & garden? If MrTeci asked if he should buy a Kubota, the post would still be there. It's been done a million times before. Then you hear that there are many more JD's and Kubota;s out there. Gee, the Legacy XL (Simplicity's first entry in the subCUT series) has been out for all of 2 years. How many Kubota's were sold when they first came here from Japan?

Ahhh what difference does it make. People will think what they will no matter what.

MrTeci, I'm sure you will make choice that is right for you, not one to please others.

Regards, Randy