Simplicity Sunstar

/ Simplicity Sunstar #11  
Once it sits till the middle of summer, he will negotiate :)

-Fordlords-

/ Simplicity Sunstar #12  
Fordlords said:
Once it sits till the middle of summer, he will negotiate :)

-Fordlords-

Hopefully you are right. But I've seen a few old guys that won't budge a nickle on their price and machines that were worth something at one time eventually become rusty scrap iron in the field. We've got quite a few stubborn folks in PA that won't recognize that everything they own isn't worth it's weight in gold.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #13  
Fordlords said:
"I can get a 2000 model Sunstar with 222 hours, 54" (?) mower, 48" (?) snow blower, leaf pickup system with trailer, snow chains and wheel weights for around $5,000.

It was owned by a 80 year old man who is now in a nursing home.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks

Yooper Dave"

Just looking at what similar Simplicity Sunstar's and accessories go for used, I would break it down to this:

222 Hour Sunstar tractor, if exceptional condition: $2100.00
Mower: Nothing additional
Snow Blower (if in good condition) $400.00
Leaf pickup with trailer: $450
Weights and Chains: $75.00
Total: $3025.00

Consider many (if not all) Sunstar's used a Kohler Magnum engine that is no longer produced. Although the with the low hours that might not be a problem for a while, it can be a costly issue if you are looking to keep the machine for 10-15 years putting moderate use on it. Just wanted to bring the obsolescense factor to note. -Fordlords-

Hi

The earlier Sunstars did use the Kohler Magnams, but the later Sunstars produced( 1993- 1997) used the Kohler Command Engine. If the machine your looking at is a 97 model, it should have the Command engine. The Kohler Command engine can still be bought new to replace the original Command engine if she should go. I currently run an Agco Allis 1920H( Simplicity Sunstar, just with different colors and marketed through Agco Allis) that has the Command engine and it is a great machine. I now have 1,007 hours on her and she is still going strong. The tractor it's self is a dream to drive and operate, plus she does a great job cutting grass as well. Take Care Jason B

/ Simplicity Sunstar #14  
Hey guys...

Thought I would add a machine that I am thinking of looking at. I am very new to the tractor world so am still learning a huge amount.

Owner describes machine as follows:

"20 HP SIMPLICITY SUNSTAR Garden Tractor hydrosatic drive low/high ranges, posi track , 48" mower, 42" rotter tiller, 42 snowblower."

I have asked for more details like year and hours, etc. I'm curious about your initial impression. Anything that I should look for when I go see it?

Is this "posi track" the differential that everyone likes? I'm not certain what is he means with this.

Anyway, thanks for the fun reading.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #15  
Klorinth said:
Hey guys...

Thought I would add a machine that I am thinking of looking at. I am very new to the tractor world so am still learning a huge amount.

Owner describes machine as follows:

"20 HP SIMPLICITY SUNSTAR Garden Tractor hydrosatic drive low/high ranges, posi track , 48" mower, 42" rotter tiller, 42 snowblower."

I have asked for more details like year and hours, etc. I'm curious about your initial impression. Anything that I should look for when I go see it?

Is this "posi track" the differential that everyone likes? I'm not certain what is he means with this.

Anyway, thanks for the fun reading.

Klorinth, The Sunstars are very good machines. Do you have any idea what year it might be? If it has the tiller, its a 38" tiller, they are very, very hard to find. the posi trac was on the later models, 95-97 and were good for mowing, but the locking diff was better. Also, what kind of hrs are on the machine?

The 1986 and maybe 1987 Sunstars had the exhaust pipe exit right out the front grill. There was also a 14 and 16 hp single cylinder Kholer with 42" or 48" decks. Only year those were made was 1986 I think.
the 1988-1991 models, the exhaust exits out the left side of tractor in front, and still had the orginal decal scheme. Other wise unchanged.
In 1992, they were called GTH, with that decal on the front of the rear fender and also had the newer decal scheme. Still the Mangum engine.
From 1993-1995, the change to the Command engine took place, lost the GTH decal and was the Sunstar. Also, some 20hp models had the posi trac instead of the locking diff.
1996 and 1997, once again a different decal scheme and no models had the diff lock.

This is what the 1986-1991 Sunstars looked like, minus the JD rims on the rear.
P1000385.jpg

This is what the 1993-1995 Sunstars looked like. Not orginal seat.
P1000482.jpg

Other models were the lime green Detz-Allis from 1986-1992, the orange Agco-Allis form 1993-1997. Also there were Massy Ferguson models in there color from 199?-1997.

Thats what I know about the Sunstar variations, I have had 5 Sunstars and all good machines.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #16  
Newt92,

Thanks for the fabulous info. The pics are great! I wish I could answer your questions, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Only sent the email last night though.

I'm curious about the posi trac vs locking diff. I've read on other threads that the locking diff is what you want when driving in wet or soft ground. ?Increased traction? Both wheels running equal? How does the posi differ from this? Obviously I'm no mechanic.

All of the implements would be shaft drive... so that would mean PTO's for front, mid, and rear? Snowblower, MMM, and tiller? Not to mention a category 0 3PH? This is sounding better every minute!

As far as I can tell this tractor sounds to be a '95-'97 model. Possibly with a fair amount of hours on it. With these implements it has done some heavy work... How much of a life can I expect out of it if this is the case? How much work can they handle? I need it for 2-3 acres of rougher mowing, and snowblowing +140' of gravel driveway. I don't want to spend this kind of money and regret it. By the way he is asking $5800 for it!!!

Rayan

Last edited:
   / Simplicity Sunstar #17  
Klorinth said:
Newt92,

Thanks for the fabulous info. The pics are great! I wish I could answer your questions, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Only sent the email last night though.

I'm curious about the posi trac vs locking diff. I've read on other threads that the locking diff is what you want when driving in wet or soft ground. ?Increased traction? Both wheels running equal? How does the posi differ from this? Obviously I'm no mechanic.

All of the implements would be shaft drive... so that would mean PTO's for front, mid, and rear? Snowblower, MMM, and tiller? Not to mention a category 0 3PH? This is sounding better every minute!

As far as I can tell this tractor sounds to be a '95-'97 model. Possibly with a fair amount of hours on it. With these implements it has done some heavy work... How much of a life can I expect out of it if this is the case? How much work can they handle? I need it for 2-3 acres of rougher mowing, and snowblowing +140' of gravel driveway. I don't want to spend this kind of money and regret it. By the way he is asking $5800 for it!!!

Rayan

The posi is not a locker, there will be times it wont work, just depends on the conditions, where as a diff lock, when you push the pedal down your locked in, both rear wheels turn the same speed/same amount until you release the pedal. Both have there pros/cons.

All impliments are shaft drive on the Sunstars. Front and center are standard. The rear was a option and I would say 85% did not have it. Same with a 3pt hitch. If you are wanting a tiller for a Sunstar, better find one already set up. You can still get parts for the Sunstars, but as far as attachments and the PTO/3pt. kits go, you will have to find them used. The tillers were 38" wide. There was a brand new in the crate tiller on E-bay awhile back that had a BIN of $1,200 and did not sell with a $127 bid.

$5,800 is way high IMO. If its a 95-97, with 48" deck, tiller and snowblower in mint condition with no more than 600 hrs, I would say $3500-3800 would be fair price. The bottom picture of mine is a 95 model I think with the 60" deck and 510 hrs and I just bought it of E-bay for $2450. When you contact the seller again, find out the hours, and make sure you look it over very well. If he thinks hes going to get $5,800 or at least $5,000 for it, I dont think you would be able to get a fair price for it. Let me know how it goes, and I hope I helped in some way.

Dennis

/ Simplicity Sunstar #19  
Dennis,

I can tell you right now that you have already helped. if it wasn't for people like you on this site, I would have ended up going out and buying an LA series John Deere from Home Depot or something.:eek: I am most definitely being educated by all of you.:D

I agree with you on the price. I was thinking I needed to get him down to $4K or less if it really is in good condition with reasonable hours. It will also depend if he is the one that bought it new, or if it has been owned by multiple people. One owner, low hours, good condition... I might be willing to fork out some money. Otherwise I will walk away.:cool:

Thanks everyone. I will post more when I get a response from him.

Rayan

Ps. Found this in my searching. Sunstar being sold at a dealer:

555hrs, 20 HP, 1997, $7536

Attachments

• Simplicity Sunstar '97.jpg
    Simplicity Sunstar '97.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 2,879
Last edited:
   / Simplicity Sunstar #20  
Glad you posted that picture! That is the decal scheme of the 1996 and 1997 tractors. Look at the two I posted and that one. That is a Befco tiller I think, not a Simplicity one, also that tractor must have a 540 PTO also. I cant believe the prices of that one and the one you are looking at.